Thread: Vacuum pump question

Vacuum pump question

Will this pump work for a vacuum chuck set up?

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...55&catname=air

Thanks in advance
    Dislocated New Mexican.
    Critiques always welcome.

Not sure, the CFM rating is a bit low. If the rest of your system is very leak-proof and you are holding dense wood, it would probably work, but a few leaks, even small ones or some porous wood like Oak and the pump might will not keep up with the leaks.

Rob,
    I sent you a PM. Your needs may be timely. Meanwhile, the preferred pump is a rotary vane pump with 10 cfm. Most turners use 1/4hp 110 volt units commonly found used on ebay. You will require some sort of filter to keep sawdust out of the pump. Our own Steve Schlumpf did a very good article on building a system. I copied the link for you. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...w-I-Built-Mine

Thanks Faust, I will use that, I read it before and just started thinking about putting something together.
    Dislocated New Mexican.

That pump will work fine for vacuum chucking. The price is high. I would expect a pump like that to be closer to $100. Once the vacuum is established that pump will hold fine. I am not sure about systems with leaks. No vacuum system should have leaks (unless you are using a shop vac as the vacuum source).
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

I agree with Richard... the pump should work just fine. Also, and more importantly - that is a lot of money for a vacuum pump. Don't be in a rush to pick something up - do some checking around as there are some cheaper alternatives. Good luck!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I disagree, I would not buy this pump. You want something that pulls more cfm, keep shopping until you find one that is 3.0 cfm. Stay away from an "oil" pump, make sure it's "oil less". There is an article in the February 2011 AAW American Woodturner magazine on vacuum systems that you might find useful. The guy that wrote the article came to our club meeting a few months ago and gave a demo on vacuum systems. Also be realistic about your system and what it can and can't do. If your pump pulls 25 cfm at the pump, don't expect it to draw 25 cfm at the chuck. There is always going to be some drop with all the fittings, filters, valves, hose, etc. That's why your pump is too small.

contact john giem. He is one of the members here he can give you the definative on vacuum system. He is he one who wrote the article and gave the talk at the meeting Pat is referring to.

I agree with Pat, I just picked up a 2nd hand Gast 1/4hp that pulls around 20" & with a cfm of around 4.5, this was the min' I would settle for otherwise a few leaks & next thing you have a piece flying about your ears, to a certain extent the Vac' is not that important compared to the flow, you need the cfm up a bit.
    Pete

The pump price does look high. Ebay has lots of sellers that salvage those things from equipment. That's where I got mine, and the guy even pointed me in the direction for a "rotary union" that I use in my hand wheel. My pump is a gast 523. I tend to use this for chucking, since it's a chuck, rotary union and connection to the pump all in one. Works great. Good luck, you'll love the vacuum system.

I would recommend you look at Tom Styers web sitehttp://www.jtturningtools.com/vacuumpumps-kits. He has some good information along with some good equipment plus Tom is a very helpful guy. Equipment is certainly not cheap but is quality made and works well as I am the owner of several pieces.

Thanks all. I've decided on another route thanks to a fellow member.
    Dislocated New Mexican.