Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Almond HF

Another Almond HF

I turned this over the last few days from the biggest blank from the almond log I got a couple months ago. Even though the log had been sealed, there was still a fair amount of cracking and checking and there was a noticable difference in how it turned. It still turned nice, but the little bit of drying made the wood a little harder. I didn't worry about the cracks, I figured with the voids and bark inclusion, the cracks fit right in.
    I think I still like the 1st one better, but my sister nabbed that one. I think I still have 1 smaller blank left which I will need to turn soon before it cracks into oblivion.
    7" tall x 8" wide with just a coat of DO so far.

PICT0011-001.JPGPICT0013.JPGPICT0015.JPGPICT0016-001.JPGPICT0018-001.JPG
    Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

I really like this one Kathy! Cracking and checking might be a pain, but in this guy, I believe they are an enhancement. The squat form along with cracks and grain orientation give the piece a very classic feel.

Kathy that is a beauty. I like it a lot.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

WOW great job getting that one finished! Looks like it could have came apart in a hurry. Nice job!

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Very nice Kathy. The round shape and warm color give it a very comfortable/friendly look. Something you just want to hold.

That's nice, Kathy. I like the form, and it has a lot of character.

you've got gumption...adore the wood..
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

8. A nice piece, Kathy.........my thoughts were when you went to the hollowing.....did you wrap the outside........might have a little pucker factor to that one. Unique piece of wood there.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Very earthy, and very nice!

Great job keeping this in one piece. A lot going on, I really like it.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Wonderful form and finish. The cracks add some drama to it as well.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Looks nice, and maybe it's just because I am new to hollow forms, but turning a hollow form with voids and cracks and keeping it from exploding is quite impressive to me.

Hi Kathy, I do not have a clue as to what is right or wrong so all I can say is that I really like it, pretty wood and I like the shape.

I think this one of the best you have done yet. We see a lot of forms with included voids. Sometimes they add some interest and sometimes, they are a distraction. In this one, the way the voids and cracks kind of spiral around the form has an intentional feeling that adds a tremendous amount of interest. The flair at the rim adds a touch of... well... "flair".
    David DeCristoforo

Thanks everyone!
    Just wish I had a few more logs of this. I really like the color and grain in this wood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    A nice piece, Kathy.........my thoughts were when you went to the hollowing.....did you wrap the outside........might have a little pucker factor to that one. Unique piece of wood there.
    Roger, I felt pretty confident that this one would hold together so I didn't wrap it. I did use my steady rest, and I just took my time hollowing and didn't get too aggressive with it and I didn't go terribly thin with it (the side walls are just under 1/4".
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.