Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Live Center

Best Live Center

Hi all,

Just upgraded to a nicer lathe I went from a Delta 46-111 to a Delta 46-521. The difference is staggering so far in terms of performance.

Now it is time for me to invest in a premium live center and it will be used for turning spindles (Windsor chair legs).

What do you recommend? Is the Oneway live center at $120 the way to go?

Thanks,
    Jim

The Onway live center is fantastic. It is very rugged and comes with lots of options for tips. There are aftermarket suppliers of specialty tips. The 3/4"-10 threads allow you to make your own screw on special purpose tips.

Thanks Eric. I understand that the Oneway live center includes some parts made of aluminum, like the outer cone. Does that affect performance?

I bought the Nova live center. I like it. The OneWay is probably better, but the Nova is about half price. It does have a hollowing center, which is the main reason I got it. There's a thread here on Nova vs Oneway if you google it. I didn't follow the link.

I have the oneway and nova both. I find myself using the oneway more often but the nova is a good one to have.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

The One Way is probably the best ,but Jet makes a clone to it that is very good at a lower price.

I just got my Jet lathe and it has the OW knockoff on it. Love it. And as Joe said, cheaper at Jet.
    I've turned tenons down to probably 1/64-1/32 before the break. Lots of room to work around the center.
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

There have been many problems with the Jet knockoff of the Oneway center. The bearings are not of the Oneway quality and design, and I've seen several that just didn't hold up under sustained heavy use.

Thanks for the comments.

Joe,
    I couldn't find any of those Jet live centers that you spoke about.

Otherwise it does seem a toss up between Nova and Oneway. Just as information, is the Nova live center made in China? I like to support North America business whenever I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Donaldson View Post
    There have been many problems with the Jet knockoff of the Oneway center. The bearings are not of the Oneway quality and design, and I've seen several that just didn't hold up under sustained heavy use.
    Jamie, I have a Jet knock off & it's never had any problems. I some times turn Very large & heavy pieces. I've not heard of any problems & I know at least 4 other people that have them.
    Jim I would check with a Jet dealer, or call Jet & ask them for a part #.

So do the Nova & Jet both have the 3/4"-10 threads?

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Matheny View Post
    So do the Nova & Jet both have the 3/4"-10 threads?

Sid
    The center that came with my Jet 1642 does, I don't think the Nova does. BUT the Nova does have a few accessories that may make up for that. I'm pretty sure there's a threaded center, but it's not a 3/4-10 like the Jet. I got the Nova to upgrade the center that came with my Jet 1014, which does have some inferior bearings. I like my 1642 live center too.

Joe, if you use the Jet center a lot, check that the brass faceplate doesn't unscrew and allow slop in the bearing stack. The brass plate has 2 holes for use with a spanner wrench, and that plate needs to be fixed in place with a sealing material like Locktite, and few people have access to that type of spanner wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Donaldson View Post
    Joe, if you use the Jet center a lot, check that the brass faceplate doesn't unscrew and allow slop in the bearing stack. The brass plate has 2 holes for use with a spanner wrench, and that plate needs to be fixed in place with a sealing material like Locktite, and few people have access to that type of spanner wrench.
    I have had the problem Jamie refers to(loose back plate) with a PSI live center but haven't had any problems with my Jet 1642 center other then self inflicted problems. I am not fond of the aluminum outer shell point because I tend to ding it, break it, or otherwise damage it. I have had to turn a new point on it a couple times with my metal lathe.

"The best things in life are not things."

Quote Originally Posted by James Combs View Post
    I am not fond of the aluminum outer shell point because I tend to ding it, break it, or otherwise damage it. I have had to turn a new point on it a couple times with my metal lathe.
    I have done the same, but just place a small bolt through the hole in the shaft that is used to remove the cone tip. That way, you can simply put it in your headstock drive and spin in to turn or sand the nose cone.

Also, I notice Craft Supplies sells a center with a hardened cone for around $70. I know nothing of the quality.