Thread: Edge Jointing

Edge Jointing

When jointing two boards at the same time I understand one places them in a vice and run the plane down both edges at the same time. Are they then folded up from the bottom into each other?

If I understand what you are saying you are correct. It is only necessary to do this if you are wanting to join the boards together. You want to make sure your two face sides are together. If you think of the face sides as facing pages of an open book, then you would "fold" them together, as you say and plane the spine of the book, so to speak. Then put the edges back together as if you were opening the book.

also pay attention to grain direction. my first attempt at this went well until I got in a hurry and had a shelf with grain running opposite directions. it dosn't affect the strength it's just a pain to plane.

you may want to check out Mike Henderson's cauls http://www.mikes-woodwork.com/Cauls.htm

thanks for that Mike H helped me when I needed it.
    Last edited by Mark Dorman; 05-11-2012 at 7:27 PM. Reason: Added Mike info
    Good, Better, Best never let it rest
    until your Good is Better and your Better is Best

Member of M-WTCA Area D

I have alreadt made the cauls and I'm going to give it a go while the family is shucking shrimp. These are huges one and fresh caught. I'm just showing everyone how dedicated I am to wood working.