Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pretty stinky

Pretty stinky

Thread name refers to the wood... Very pretty, but smells bad! This is a piece from a maple I picked up at my nephew's friend's house. I asked you all about what kind of maple it is. Never really found out (couldn't get any info on the leaves). The only thing I can tell you about it, is that it is certainly hard maple, and will stink up your shop! Upon re-turning it, a little of the smell was there, but it didn't "linger" like it did when I roughed it.

Anyway, considering I'm not sure if I will turn any more of this wood, despite the cracks, I decided to finish it anyway. I filled the cracks with epoxy mixed with black dye. Only 3 or 4 coats of WTF. Buffed and Renwaxed. 11" x 3". I didn't want to put "Stinky Maple" on the bottom, so I just put the town it came from.

C&C welcome.

DSCF1058 - Copy - Copy.jpgDSCF1059 - Copy - Copy.jpgDSCF1060 - Copy - Copy.jpgDSCF1061 - Copy - Copy.jpgDSCF1063 - Copy - Copy.jpgDSCF1075 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    I drink, therefore I am.

2. Looks as if that piece of the tree had some windshake issues.........of course it could be just grain running all directions, but I have had similar pieces with swirling grain that gave me fits and came off the tool in chunks rather than curlees...........nice bowl form Mike!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I haven't had any "stinky" maple, I've had plenty of boxelder that smelled like a livestock feedlot, or a pig truck. Can't say I enjoyed it's aroma much. The end product always is worth it, sucks when your house smells like a dirty barn afterwards though.

That's a pretty bowl, and some equally pretty "stinky maple." Does Damascus smell like that?
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Thanks, Roger. Funny that you said windshake... I don't think that is what it is, but I agree that the pattern of cracking kinda looks like that. This is the 3rd of 4 pieces that I've turned out of the tree (the 4th is roughed to 18", have to finish it sometime...). This is the only piece that got tiny cracks like this. But who knows...

Rick, my house always smells like a barn! My wife kinda like's that, though... And as for Damascus, it is actually a neat little town. Their football teams are incredible...so yeah, there are those (opponents) that might think they "stink"...
    I drink, therefore I am.

"I didn't want to put "Stinky Maple" on the bottom..."

Mike, right now I am biting my tongue so hard it's bleeding. And I'm trying not to laugh at the same time. I'm just gonna have to go with nice bowl...
    David DeCristoforo

Unclamp, my friend, unclamp. Feel free to give it to me. I can handle it. This bowl isn't perfect. I know it. "Nice bowl"s are great, but you don't get better by 'em. If the story is what's got you in stitches, please...explain. I may be thin skinned about some things, but I can laugh at myself and don't mind when people ride my wave. C'mon, share your thoughts...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Nice Mike, really like it... BTW - Happy Birthday!!! shouldn't you be eating cake, etc... having a $10 beer and chilling on the ranch?

Happy Birthday stinky!!! Opps! How about a profile shot of the bowl? Finish and crack attention look great! Possible cool rim treatment?
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

IT IS NOT MY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Sorry, Peter was misinformed due to an error on my part. My birthday is 8/5/19XX not 5/8/19XX. Sorry, Peter...but I do appreciate the sentiment.
    I drink, therefore I am.

I turned a piece of cherry once that was cut by my aunts horse pasture. I think the horses must have lifted their leg on the tree. It was terrible. When I finish turned it, the smell was gone. I did a DNA soak of the bowl. That might have taken care of the smell.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

I think Mike is bluffing, it's ok to be old... Still a nice bowl..

What do the xx's stand for.... I mean, what year?
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

68, Rich.

Rich, I've never seen a horse "lift its leg", but I wouldn't want to be standing behind a mare, if you catch my drift. The maple in question was a fairly large tree, so to smell that bad from urine, it would have had to have been the local latrine on Friday and Saturday nights for its whole life for a crowd! And the DNA bath didn't really cure it. As a matter of fact, the DNA reeked of it. And everything that came out of that DNA bath after I used it for the stinky maple smelled like it (until it evaporated...the DNA, not the wood).

I'll be HAPPY to send ANYONE a blank of the stinky maple if you are game...
    I drink, therefore I am.

I'm in...I'll squirt some lemon juice on my Trend and I have a really small shop!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

15. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    IT IS NOT MY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Sorry, Peter was misinformed due to an error on my part. My birthday is 8/5/19XX not 5/8/19XX. Sorry, Peter...but I do appreciate the sentiment.
    Mike! Looks like they will sing happy b'day to both of us on the same day!!! I know I am older than you, but can you believe that!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!