Thread: The Shellac Shack

The Shellac Shack

Has anybody bought stuff from these guys? http://www.shellacshack.com/

yes. quick transaction.

Were you pleased with the shellac?

I've bought from Shellac Shack. Quick service and no complaints with any of the shellac I've gotten.
    I was sad because I had no shoes,
    Then I saw a man who had no feet
    ================================
    If you do today what no one else will,
    You'll do tomorrow what no one else can

That's where I buy 90% of my shellac. Have an order due for delivery today. The other 10% is Seal coat by Zinsser.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Thanks guys. I just ordered some platina.

Quick service and excillent quality product. The only place I would buy.
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"

For another option, I've been ordering from these folks with good results http://www.shellac.net/index.html
    but I'll look into the Shellac Shack too.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I don't know if there is a difference in their product; it's not likely since there are only a few places that actually process the shellac.

Thier prices are a bit higher... They sell a lot of shellac that has NOT BEEN DEWAXED be careful what you purchase.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Good to be cautious Scott but there is a lot of info and product available on that web site that allows for making good choices.
    Again, I'm not suggesting that one company is better than the other but that there are options out there and I have been happy dealing with this company.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

your always best off [if you have the time and money], to buy button lacs and refining your own. Every process the lac goes through after it's initial washing to rid it of red dye and it's heating to make button lac, is deleterious to it's over-all great properties. Kusmi button would be the best choice for this.
    Sincerely,

S.Q.P - SAM - CHEMMY.......... Almost 50 years in this art and trade and counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post
    I don't know if there is a difference in their product; it's not likely since there are only a few places that actually process the shellac.

Thier prices are a bit higher... They sell a lot of shellac that has NOT BEEN DEWAXED be careful what you purchase.
    Hey, Scott...do you find that the flake from shellac shack is really fully dewaxed? I've bought a lot of dewaxed shellac but all of it so far still has wax in it that I have to let settle out. Then I decant it like a bottle of wine. I would love to have a source for truly dewaxed shellac flakes that don't require any further seperating. I've never bought from shellac shack so I don't know what to expect.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Hey, Scott...do you find that the flake from shellac shack is really fully dewaxed? I've bought a lot of dewaxed shellac but all of it so far still has wax in it that I have to let settle out. Then I decant it like a bottle of wine. I would love to have a source for truly dewaxed shellac flakes that don't require any further seperating. I've never bought from shellac shack so I don't know what to expect.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
    John,

I am new to using shellac flakes to mix my own shellac and have only done so on one project. I purchased my shellac flakes from www.shellacfinishes.biz. The owner, Vijay Velji only sells dewaxed shellac. I've mixed up about two gallons worth and have yet to see any sign of wax in the mixture. You can contact Vijay through his web site (the Sales email address listed there.) I'm sure he would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Mark

Shellacshack! Thanks,,, I'm ready to order 2 pounds.. I'll try this place