Thread: Beaded Camphor H/F - The quentessential Snafu

Beaded Camphor H/F - The quentessential Snafu

Beaded Camphor H/F - The quentessential Snafu
    Here's a 13 1/2" X 5 1/2" H/F in camphor with a 4 7/8" finial. This is similar to, but a little larger than, another done recently. I decided to try some experiments on this since it was really a break between doing some translucent Norfolk Island pine pieces. Had so many screw ups on this thing that I probably should apply for a grant from the government to mass produce it. Some of the many screw ups are as follows:

-the wood had a spectacular red flare on one side. I attached it to the faceplate upside down and turned it off.

-didn't check the form closely before adding beads and discovered it was too bottom heavy

-Decided to use shellac as a finish to compare it to the last one with danish oil. Didn't mix the flakes well enough and had small clots of shellac all over it. Had to sand it off and use a safety pin and a toothbrush to get them off between the beads

-didn't sand off the shellac well enough and the danish oil wouldn't absorb into the wood

-got really steamed and tossed it (literally) into a bucket of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits that I'd been using for Norfolk Island pine. Had the brililant flash idea that the mixture would color the wood from the inside out. (My worst idea since I tried to grow a beard in College)

-set it on the edge of my work bench in the garage thinking it would either fall off and break or just disappear after a few weeks. It didn't.

-finished it with a brand new can of WOP clear satin. it came out as glossy as anything I've ever done

-made the best finial I ever made, but it was too short

-made a second finial for it but it was too tall

Finally came to the conclusion that screwed up, not meant-to-be turnings are what Christmas and the joy of giving is all about. Hopefully, some relative will appreciate all the frustration I put into this thing. Merry Christmas!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BILL DONAHUE; 05-09-2012 at 10:04 PM.

I have mixed happy's about this Bill...Forum prevents C&C without request so we'll leave it at that. I've been burned on this in the last week so I guess the rules apply!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Bill for a snafu I don't think it turned out to bad. I do like the finial and feel your pain on the finish. I did that once with shellac that didn't mix up entirely.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

But did you have fun???

Actually - this didn't turn out that bad! Finish looks great and I do like the elements in the finial!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I laughed uproriously over this post..I bet everyone here has been thru all that. What is amazing is that it's not 1/2 bad..thanks for the chuckles...
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I'll bet that at least it smelled good while turning...

Great post, Bill!! That journey sounded so familiar - seems like when a piece heads south, it just picks up speed. Changing the direction just isn't an option, and the only hope is to finish it quickly before things get so bad they are not recoverable! I kind of like it, actually. I still have a bunch of shellac flakes from flatwork - I should use them up, but mixing them is a pain. I strain mine through nylon hosiery.

Look on the bright side, there were a lot of lessons learned! BTW, I like it.

I don't think it is as bad as you think... The frustrations are what YOU see more than the end result. And I know that feeling.

You know, this reminds me of a joke/story I heard once... A lady goes on an interview for a job as a secretary. She says that she wants $40 per hour. The interviewer says that the job pays $20 per hour. But thought he'd inquire as to her skills... So, he asks her how many words per minute she can type. She replies, "30". Shocked the interview asks how she can demand $40 per hour (double the going rate) when she can type only 1/2 the required words per minute. Her reply? "Because it is twice as hard for me!"

If you sell this piece, you ought to charge double...you worked so hard on it.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Bill,
    We all have those days, sorry you had yours but in the grand scheme of things, this would make someone a fine gift. I do particularly like the strength of your beads. If you did these free hand with a spindle gouge, I commend your skill.
    faust

Bill, you should be very proud of this piece, look at all the smiles and memories that your adventure has produced. Pretty wood and impressive execution, IMO.

Hey Bill...woodturning is supposed to be fun!... Looks great in the pic. In a lot of years of turning I've found that it's a continual learning experience.

Someone is going to be thrilled with that Bill! Had to smile a few times at the "I can relate to that" moments! Are you sure you want to give it away as they will never fully appreciate it!