Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: feeling really stupid now...

feeling really stupid now...

spent an hour yesterday building a mortise jig for some butt hinges i was installing on some plantation shutters, set it up, grabbed the trim router, flicked it on and for some unknown reason decided to reach underneath it to hold the base... and well, here are the results:

guess i'll turn on the router next time when it's actually positioned on the workpiece. i was thinking that on my usual routers, i'm forced to grip it with both hands but i let my guard down with the smaller trim router and thought mistakenly that it was pretty harmless because of it's size.

it took about an hour to the the ER which wasn't too bad and as soon as i got home, i picked up the router again being MUCH MORE CAREFUL and routed the mortises because i wanted to get back in the saddle ASAP.

I have yet to see someone have an accident and say it was a smart thing to do. We all learn through these threads to respect our tools so for that, thanks for posting. Heal fast.

Ouch!

We all do things without thinking. Some times we can learn by others experience. Thanks for the reminder!

Heal fast, well and completely!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Frank Frank, Frank Frank, Frank OUCH! I hate these kind of posts. Sorry man.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Sorry dude! We all do stupid things from time to time, I imagine most of the time we are all just lucky, then once in a while...we aren't. Speedy recovery!
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

owe owe owe owe...... Oh my, it hurts to just look at it.

OUCH!! I am sure most of us have done something similar, I know I have but with a hand held power planer. It looks like you will be OK down the road. Heal fast and thanks for the reminder.

Frank,

You are one lucky duck. I certainly don't want to minimize your injury, but looking at that picture, my first thought was about how much worse it could have been. I am sure it will bother you for a long time.

I got nipped by a router bit once. So lightly that it only took of the very tip of a finger, not even to the nail. It hardly bled, but it was numb for years. I tend to hold a small router this way also, and am trying to break the habit. I just built an egg shaped base with handles for a trim router.

Thanks for the wake up call.

Rick Potter

So sorry that you injured yourself. I have been there, different tool, somewhat comparable results. Thanks for the reminder that we need to be really careful, and thoughtful before using our tools. I try to, and have had marginal, but incremental success. After my 'incident' of ten years ago, I remember thinking that I'll never to THAT again (gee, that jointer blade spins fast, doesn't it?!!). So far, I still have 9.98 fingers.

Your post, while difficult to view, is definately worthwhile for us to remember the value of safe, careful operation of our tools. Hope it does not keep you from your projects for very long.

John

seems to be a trend with small routers and injuries...i will certainly pay close attention next time i use one ....i hope you heal quickly

Frank, glad to hear you're doing well, it could have been much worse..........Rod.

thanks for sharing....we can all use reminders from time to time about the importance of safety and attentiveness. hope you heal quickly and completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lloyd View Post
    OUCH!! I am sure most of us have done something similar,
    Nope. Not yet anyway.
    Safety, and respect for power tools and other machinery was drummed into us at work.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

OUCH!!!

PLEASE tell me that is not the finger you pick your nose with! Your breathing might be obstructed for a while if it is...

Seriously, I do hope you get better soon. The thought of the incident makes my toes curl!

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    OUCH!!!

PLEASE tell me that is not the finger you pick your nose with! Your breathing might be obstructed for a while if it is...

Seriously, I do hope you get better soon. The thought of the incident makes my toes curl!
    if this is his nose -picking finger, he will have to learn a new finger and keep his index finger-left hand safe, stay safe and keep the finger out of the cold