Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cyclone Seperator Shootout

Cyclone Seperator Shootout

Some surprising results! I was always envious of the more expensive Clear View separator. Thinking that I should have not "cheeped out" in getting the Dust Deputy. But after using it for a few months and now this. I am sure glad I made the choice I did. $39 worth of pure satisfaction!

I wonder if this performance difference is due to the design change forced on Clear View by Onida's law suite? Then again this is just one persons results.

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/vide...ator-shootout/

James

Nice, I just wish that we could see a graph showing the relationship of the level of that CT33 and how it relates to performance of the cyclone.

I know that at max setting a CT33 draws like 1300 watts and I'd like to know if I still get good cyclone performance if I turn the knob slightly away from bunny to 800 watts, or 600 watts when it is much quieter.

You made me wonder what my vac consumes. I just hooked up a Kill-A-Watt to may vac. 1265 watts with just a hose connected and 1150 watts with the Dust Deputy connected. I have the below WD1956 Ridgid which has the same power head as the WD1851.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tsutsui View Post
    Nice, I just wish that we could see a graph showing the relationship of the level of that CT33 and how it relates to performance of the cyclone.

I know that at max setting a CT33 draws like 1300 watts and I'd like to know if I still get good cyclone performance if I turn the knob slightly away from bunny to 800 watts, or 600 watts when it is much quieter.

Blog Entries
    I too was shocked at how well the DD worked. Bought a second one for the other end of the shop.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The DD does perform as advertised. One of the better investments I have made in the shop.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

When I did my test with the Mini and the Dust Deputy I had the old mini and it did work just a little better at the fine dust. But from looking at the video the Mini is a lot different now.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ht=dust+dupity

Quote Originally Posted by James White View Post
    Then again this is just one persons results.

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/vide...ator-shootout/

James
    That person's results were pretty telling. Mark's tests were pretty blue collar too. They had a lot of real world flavor. Of course, he picked the one I bought, so that my be coloring my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    That person's results were pretty telling. Mark's tests were pretty blue collar too. They had a lot of real world flavor. Of course, he picked the one I bought, so that my be coloring my opinion.
    Jerome,

If I where going to pick someone who does reviews to trust. It would be Mark.

James

Bill,

To me that law suit was a real shame. Deep pockets take the spoils. Do you know who was first to get there product to market?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    When I did my test with the Mini and the Dust Deputy I had the old mini and it did work just a little better at the fine dust. But from looking at the video the Mini is a lot different now.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ht=dust+dupity

I agree with Greg. It works very very well. Mostly I use it with my sanders, but sometimes for work bench and floor cleanup

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    The DD does perform as advertised. One of the better investments I have made in the shop.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Anyone have the Festool setup for the DD? Just curious if it is worth the extra $$ or if a different solution is better using just the cyclone or cyclone bucket kit.

Kudos to Mark for doing an honest review, even though Rockler is a sponsor of his show. He also gave credit to CV for their larger cyclones for which he owns one of those too.

Mike
    Last edited by Michael W. Clark; 05-11-2012 at 1:23 PM.

I just got one to go with my new CT 36. I've used it a little with an ETS 150 and 12" CSMS. I have not looked at the vac bag yet, but the DD caught a LOT! Fits the top of the vac and locks down nicely. Also having a bag for the chips / dust to land in which will be nice at emptying time. It also comes with a 1/4" tube to provide suction to keep the bag from collapsing. Worth the $'s if you can get it by the wife. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Michael W. Clark View Post
    Anyone have the Festool setup for the DD? Just curious if it is worth the extra $$ or if a different solution is better using just the cyclone or cyclone bucket kit.

Kudos to Mark for doing an honest review, even though Rockler is a sponsor of his show. He also gave credit to CV for their larger cyclones for which he owns one of those too.

Mike

Thanks Keith, I also have the CT36 but have been reluctant to use it for things other than sanding because of filling the bag. The cyclone inlet would also get the hose a little higher and work better with my bench setup. I may add this to the "want" list too.
    Mike

No problem Michael. I do like that the inlet is about chest high. I'm running the hose up to the ceiling and hanging it with a bungy so it drops down for sanding. Kinda like the boom arm from festool.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael W. Clark View Post
    Thanks Keith, I also have the CT36 but have been reluctant to use it for things other than sanding because of filling the bag. The cyclone inlet would also get the hose a little higher and work better with my bench setup. I may add this to the "want" list too.
    Mike

15. The problem with the review is this is not apples to apples. Not that Mark did anything wrong. But there is only one cyclone in the bunch of three units and that is the one with the most lawyers and potential lawsuits being held over the head of ClearVue. This does nothing to diminish the success of the very affordable Oneida Dust Deputy.

BUT, truth be know the "old" ClearVue could no longer be produced because of the threat of "patent infringement" and what I want to know is where is free enterprise when you need it?

I purchased the new Clearvue design and it is essentially the top half of a cyclone that then uses a baffle to separate the hat from the bin. I did not realize that this was what I was getting when I pulled the trigger and purchased it. When it arrived I emailed both Clearvue and Bill Pentz about why they "forgot" the cone in my shipment. I considered sending it back but I was irritated about paying to send it back and I was irritated about assuming it was a cyclone when it is is just the top half of a very sophisticated cyclone without the cone to allow optimal separation and "cyclonic" effect.

Long story short I decided to keep the ClearVue unit and had a metal fab shop make a cone for me based on the ration I got from Pentz. The cone goes from 6" to mate to the bottom of the ClearVue unit down to a 2" bottom opening/discharge. The ratio for this cyclone top is 1 to 1.64 (6"x1.64") giving me an accelerating cone that I would aver beats the Dust Deputy because of the inlet design and internal baffling that routes the input like a greased pig at a bootlegger's picnic. It is very, very cool.

I have not had a chance to unite the ClearVue unit with the actual cone which threat of lawsuit foreshortened and it is my understanding that the baffle is a compromise. I am a sucker for the underdogs in a fight like this. So I spent an extra $30 to have a 26g sheet metal cone made. I am not much for picture taking and project sharing but I should really find the time to do this. This "shoot out" was a case of Clearvue being forced to bring a knife to a gunfight. And the results are what they are.

What I would like to see is a comparison of the Dust Deputy with the "old" pre-lawsuit threat Clearvue AND the current ClearVue with a proper cone bottom instead of this baffle device. I need to route some wood donut connectors to hook all this together but with all that is going on in the household and work-life I don't see that happening for a while. It anyone has the time and interest to play with this let me know and I will send it to you and pay for your time and postage. I am too snowed under at present to do much with this project at present.