Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade Question ... (pending??)

Upgrade Question ... (pending??)

OK, I have been tinkering around on my used RIKON MINI lathe for a little over a year now, and I like what I am doing, but now its time to make a step forward.

I'd like to continue to turn more bowls, and be able to do some larger ones (salad bowls 12-14 diam), I'd also consider venturing into the hollowing arena and possibly coring some bowls.

Ran across a JET 1642 on craigslist for $1,700, he says its about 18 months old and it looks in great shape ..... is that worth my effort?

I am probably a couple of years from being able to get all the way to a yellow monster type, so would this be a good next step for me at this price???

2. The Jet is a good lathe........the 1.5 hp motor is a little light for coring, but can be done. A 2 hp would be better and is what the standard PM 3520b has. $1700 for a lathe in very good shape is an okay price.........not a real steal, but a new one sells for about $1900 on sale...and about $2100 regular price.

It will do for bowls and such just fine.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I had a 1642 jet with the 110v motor for about 2 yrs. It does everything I ask and would get another if the need to. I have turned a 14" bowl 4" deep without a problem. I think that I would only go bigger if I got into a coring system

Maybe that is the new price for a used Jet 1642. I think Rodger is working off a an old price list. That lathe goes for $2300 in the 110 volt model and $2500 for the 220 volt edition. Good quality, well regarded lathes should go for 70% of purchase price (like the Jet you are looking at). Excellent quality, top of the market like a Oneway should go for 80% to 90% of purchase price (depending on condition). A lesser quality, poorly regarded lathe should go for 30% to 40% of purchase price like a Craftsman mono tube lathe.
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

I bought my Jet 1642 (2 hp) lathe last summer. All in all, I'm very satisfied and would highly recommend it. Do I wish I had something more powerful? Not really. My only complaint is the overall weight--it would be nice if it were heavier--but then it would cost more. I think that $1700 sounds like a pretty good deal (especially if you keep in mind that you need to add tax to the above-quoted new prices). I would say go for it!

Noah

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Koepke View Post
    I am probably a couple of years from being able to get all the way to a yellow monster type, so would this be a good next step for me at this price???
    Lee, this is the statement that keeps me from being more encouraging on the Jet. I have the 1642-2, and love it. But, I have no foreseeable plans to upgrade. Not saying that wouldn't happen someday, but I don't come anywhere near pushing the limits of the Jet.

BUT, if in my mind, I was already considering a Monster a couple of years from now, and that was my goal, I would stick with the Rikon for a bit longer. Or, more likely, just bite the bullet and get the Monster. Seems like using the Jet for a 2 year transition lathe is not advisable. You will want a steady rest that will not fit the PM, and there will be other accessories that may not transition, as well. The base for any hollowing system will not work on both.

Just some thoughts.

+1 to what John says.

I have a 1642-2 and really love it. IF I were to upgrade, personally I would skip the 3520 and get a dedicated bowl lathe. Not that I can see that in the near future either. One question I have, after muscleing a 15" blank on my lathe, do you really want that extra 4" of swing and muscleing a 19" blank on the 3520... LOL

Good luck on your decision.

I appreciate the feedback.

I guess it may be 'wishful thinking' on another upgrade, but the only reason I was thinking later on, was this is the 1.5 hp model, not the 2 hp. If the guy will negotiate a bit, I could turn this into a nice weekend trip to a lake in alabama, returning with new (to me lathe).

Kyle, I hadnt thought of that ... good point about the weight.

I was already selling bowls when I upgraded from a 12 inch, 1 hp, 4 speed Atlas lathe to the PM. It paid for itself about 3 times the first year I had it, which means that it paid for all the 'extra' things I had to have. A 16 inch lathe will turn 99% of all the bowls you will ever want to turn.

robo hippy

Lee, I just bought the 1642 2 hp for $2249. So for a good one, I would have jumped on this deal if it were 2 hp. If it were 1.5 hp, not so attractive a price.
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

That was the price of the 1642 in November...I know, that's when I got mine and that's what I paid. It's $2,299 ($2,600 for the 1642-2) from Amazon today with free shipping. I didn't know Roger was coring on a 1642 1.5 already...congratz!. I went to the club 2 week ago and cored on their 1642 1.5 with a One way and it had no problem what so ever. When things stabilize here, One way coring system will be coming home with papa!
    I spin 3x15" walnut and olive platters all the time and I take aggressive cuts...I might lose 50rpm at the most on the low speed setting. I to wish it weighed more, but planking the frame and 4 bags of concrete really help a lot!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

My son got a Jet 1642 wired for 110, but it kept tripping the GFCI. We were able to take it back and get the 220 version and no problems since.

I caught the LOML on a good day ( they sold two big pieces if furniture at her store today) so she was real easy to convince....looks like i will end up with a new machine.....

You will enjoy the larger swing as well as the reverse. It will be a great improvement.

Although I have to clean/ re-arrange my shop now......