Thread: Target EM6000

Target EM6000

Short and to the point....Does anyone know what type(s) of sanding sealer that Target EM6000 will NOT work with???

Only an educated guess... Any sanding sealer with sterates and shellac that has not been dewaxed.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Holmes View Post
    Only an educated guess... Any sanding sealer with sterates and shellac that has not been dewaxed.
    Thanks Scott. Now, please forgive my ignorance but...would the presence of "sterates" be obvious on the can?

Well... Maybe. Some claim, it others don't, it makes sanding easier. To be safe I'd use shellac, dewaxed of course.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

I just use shellac, though it's important to use fresh shellac, not Zinnser's Sealcoat. There are numerous reports of 6000 crazing over Sealcoat. Target says it has something to do with the pH of the Sealcoat. Fresh shellac is okie dokie.

You can certainly use EM6000 for the sanding sealer, and then you have no compatibility issues.

a trusted friend told me the sealcoat needed to be what he terms "hot coated" his words not mine, lol.

evidently there is an issue but he told me if you re coated without sanding after the sealcoat is initially dry [not through dry] meaning further what is suggested by Zinsser as to dry enough to sand and re-coat, then it eliminates this problem, from there you just sand the first coat of 6000 and then proceed to apply any remaining coatings. Since i have not done this myself having not used any water based products for years except for testing of those i felt were coming along better than others, i will not or can not say this is true, but it would be good for those who are using it to test what I've been told and relay the results back here so others can see whether it holds true or not, just a thought.
    Sincerely,

S.Q.P - SAM - CHEMMY.......... Almost 50 years in this art and trade and counting...

I just use de-waxed shellac or sometimes just shoot a coat or two of the EM6000 if I didn't use dye on the wood, sand off the nibs and continue from there. I've also used the high-solids sealer product from Target and it works nicely.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...