Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: if you love something...

Question if you love something...

If you love something, set it free; if it comes backs it's yours, if it doesn't, it never was

Anyone ever have any experience with this phrase? How did it work out for you? opinions, thoughts and comments welcome
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

If you love your new puppy and you leave the gate open for it, what do you think the chances are of it coming home because it was "meant to be"?

It's just a clever saying, it has no meaning other than the normal scapegoat for people wanting to break up with another person and not hurt their feelings.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    it has no meaning other than the normal scapegoat for people wanting to break up with another person and not hurt their feelings.
    LOL, everytime I was "set free" when I was younger resulted in nothing coming back!
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

It means about the same as, "It's not you, it's me".

After setting it free, I'd recommend moving and changing your phone number to keep it from finding it's way back when it changes it's mind at 2:00am and realizes what a big mistake it made.

Never worked for me with girlfriends, except once when a girl told me she had to go out and live life. I cut her loose. She tried to return later.

I think parentheses should be added at the end "if it comes back, it's yours (and you have to figure out how to get rid of it if you don't want it back)"

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    It means about the same as, "It's not you, it's me".

After setting it free, I'd recommend moving and changing your phone number to keep it from finding it's way back when it changes it's mind at 2:00am and realizes what a big mistake it made.
    Bingo.....

I have gotten free a couple of times in my life and will never go back. I wasn't set free, I ran with my tail between my legs and swearing I would never go back. I didn't! I was set free a couple of times in my life and it crushed me. The first time I didn't know why and still don't. The second time was from someone that I loved with all my heart and soul. I ran away and joined the Army and married someone else four months later. This now it is almost 50 years and two wives later now and I still think about the second set free. I would have gone back if I had received an invitation.
    David B

I would modify that saying to something like........"If you love something, and it doesn't love you, set it free".

Rick Potter

cutesy sayings such as this usually have a tiny amount of truth wrapped up in a whole lot of wishful thinking covered up in overly emotional sentiment ................................................. which is another way of saying that you shouldn't really count on it being reality

It’s akin to “Whatever will be, will be”. You cannot force a relationship to grow regardless of how hard you try.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Most, if not all of us crusty ol' farts have moved on to other philosophical musings.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Every time I "Set something free" it took a new house and all my savings.........

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Every time I "Set something free" it took a new house and all my savings.........

Larry
    not quite on the same level of exspence, but im hoping that doesnt happen
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

It's a good saying that holds true for kids and butterflies. Otherwise some of the hardest living you will do is loving someone and not giving up on him/her and fighting not to let him/her get away. Then there is also recognizing that some illusions of love are in fact just illusions. On the other hand - you can't really ever love yourself until you set yourself free (from your baggage, from your fears, from your prejudices, from your insecurities, from your illusions, from your self indulgences, etc. etc.) and if you don't love yourself your can't truly love another. So the setting free thing is real - it's just that most of us get it backwards.

Good luck with that

Sam
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

If you love something, what gives you the right to "set it free"? Isn't something free to come and go as it pleases?

If you love someone and there is a question of whether he/she needs or wants to be free then free yourself.

I don't do do-overs. Not saying that's the right way, just what works for me.

If you love something, lock it in the basement and feed it until it loves you back.

Ditto on the 2 a.m. thing. If it takes a bottle of Tequila and a night with a stranger for someone to figure out they had a good thing in the first place . . . well that's just too bad.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra