Thread: Glue up question

Glue up question

I'm doing a glue up on 2 mahogany 6 3/4" wide boards 5' long. I've got 29 of these to do. My question is, after I release them from bondage, What is the best way to store them? Flat with stickers, standing up against a wall? Or is there a better idea out there? I will only get 8 - 10 glued up a day so it will be a week till I can start working with them again. Thanks guys!

I'd do flat with stickers.
    Ryan

Flat with stickers for me also

As Yul Brynner famously said:

"So let it be written. So let it be done."
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    As Yul Brynner famously said:

"So let it be written. So let it be done."
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

As it is written, so shall it be. I bow to consensus of the masters that are SMC.
    Thanks All

Oh and Keith, a caution - if once these glue up are cleaned up and nearly finish don't just leave them out willy nilly stacked and exposed to daylight - you will get some serious shadowing on the mahogany (or cherry). Not a problem if you still need to thickness them. I have stacked sanded and/or finished tops or shelves, door parts etc. good side up without covering with blankets or towels and have ended up with some unusable lumber due to light strikes.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Thanks Sam, This is good advice. I will keep them covered up and as always I'll be trying not to be willy nilly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    Oh and Keith, a caution - if once these glue up are cleaned up and nearly finish don't just leave them out willy nilly stacked and exposed to daylight - you will get some serious shadowing on the mahogany (or cherry). Not a problem if you still need to thickness them. I have stacked sanded and/or finished tops or shelves, door parts etc. good side up without covering with blankets or towels and have ended up with some unusable lumber due to light strikes.

If you have longer clamps, say 30" you should be able to glue up 2 at a shot. Get them done in half the time!

good luck,
    JeffD

What may I ask are you doing with them? To the extent that it's possible, I'd assemble the final pieces as quickly after glue up as is possible instead of trying to do all the glue up at once, then all the assembly at once.

I'm wainscoating our office / reading room in a board and batt style