Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mesquite and Walnut HF

Mesquite and Walnut HF

I got this really nice piece of mesquite from Kathy Marshall in the bowl swap over at WTA. Beings as how mesquite is kind of a southwest wood species I wanted to do a southwest looking hollowform from it. But it didn't turn out very southwest looking. I'm not really sure what I did or didn't do to the form but it's just kind of not right. But then when I buffed it, it took on a nice shine and I really liked the wood. So I thought maybe a finial might help it. I'm not the best finial maker and I didn't have any mesquite big enough that would match it nor did I have any blackwood to make a contrasting finial. So I made one out of the old standby walnut. And I kind of like how it ended up. The picks make the finial look darker than it really is. It's darker than the mesquite but not as close to black as it looks. Whatchathink?

Mesquite SW 9.jpg Mesquite SW 6.jpg Mesquite SW 5.jpg

Very nice Curt! I'm no expert on SW forms, I just know what I like and I like this one! Nice color in that mesquite and of course I like the sapwood accent. Beautiful finish and I think the finial is just right. Looks like you made the most of that chunk of wood I sent!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

That is a classic. Classic shape and finial.

Wonderful job.

It is a very nice hollow form and the finial adds something to it. The wood, form and finish are all top notch.

Curt, your work is always well done, and this one is no exception! Very smooth lines, and I like the finial with the form. The whole package is well proportioned.

Wish the pics were somewhat larger. They are relatively small with very little compression. Might show your piece better if they were larger images, but compressed to around 50-60% or so.

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Elegant and well done sir!

Nice job on a rockin' piece of wood. I like the smooth lines of it as well.

me thinks it is lovely
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

That is a beautiful and elegant piece Curt. Love the form and finish.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I really love the blend of colors! Excellent form!
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Great looking piece. i just love this shape and you got it just right as always.

Beautiful work Curt! Great form and the detail work in the finial is impressive!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Sweet. Fine form and the finial is especially well done... simple but with fine, crisp cuts.
    David DeCristoforo

Yep, ditto what others have said, very impressive piece.

elegant
    wood and work