Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wtf - Wood Turners Finish

Wtf - Wood Turners Finish

It seems a lot of people are using wtf, I am wondering what is the prefered way of applying it? I have some but have not tried it yet.
    Thanks Wally

Ditto what Wally said. I will be interested in this thread.

"The best things in life are not things."

General Woodturner's Finish. A popular semi-new finish a lot of the Creekers are using these days

http://www.generalfinishes.com/retai...turners-finish

4. I like to use a piece of t-shirt material.........I like it better than paper towels. I apply to the piece while still on the lathe at a low rpm, like 50...........usually after I have applied a seal coat of dewaxed shellac to pop the grain.

One can apply a coat about every 5 minutes........if you use a heat gun on low setting or a hair dryer, perhaps every 3 minutes or so, depending on humidity levels............after about 3 or 4 coats it builds to a fine satin finish, and after fully cured for a day or so will take light buffing which will cause a glossy finish.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I use a small piece of t-shirt and I also like to airbrush it on. Like Roger said I can put on 10 to 12 coats in about 35 to 40 minutes using a hair dryer on low heat.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I apply it with a paper shop towel, and if I am outside, with humidity below 40%, I can apply a coat per minute. After 7-10 coats, I will level the finish with 600, and apply a few more coats, level again with 600, then 1200, and then buff. I only wait about 30 minutes to sand and buff.

I ordered some this weekend and will be joining the parade trying this stuff. It sounds too good to be true but I have been seeing lots of pictures showing the great finish. I think John's "Blue on Blue" pushed me over the edge to try this.

+1 on the shop towels. I cut the whole roll into 4 pieces on the bandsaw, then roll off one section at a time. It will last a long time with a lot less waste.

I use paper towel.

Alan

Yep, paper towel. Love it love it love it!
    Once you try WTF...you'll end up pitching out WOP products and a host of other sprays likely as well.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

WTF will airbrush on without thinning and clean up is just soap and water. You can put the lathe on real slow and airbrush on a very smooth finish in just minutes. I am also going to get an old turn table, set it on 33rpm and give that a try for off the lathe.

Here is a link to a video of airbrushing with WTF.

Dale
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Pretty much like every one else, with one exception. My 3M rep dropped off a sample of 5000 grit Trizact polishing disk, a few passes with my DA sander, light buff with a liquid compound= mirror finish

Tim - What's WOP mean? Why not spell it out? What's up with all the abbreviations? - John

John, acronyms are, unfortunately, an integral part of the cyber world. WOP is wipe on poly. Here is a link to "a list" of acronyms commonly used on the creek. You may find it helpful. My guess is, this is one of those unfortunate times you will be unable to affect change and it may be easier to just "join 'em!"

Blog Entries
    After reading John's post I picked some up myself. Here in our heat you only have about a minute to work with it. I'm in the process of playing musical lathes today and tomorrow but when I'm done I'll be putting it to use right away.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.