Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roubo Bench with 4 years of improvements

Roubo Bench with 4 years of improvements

I built the basic bench 4 years ago. Until a few days ago, I have not incorporated all the changes/improvements. Here is the bench today and YES I consider it finished.

• 102” by 26 ½ “ Ash with pinned M&T Joints.
    • Built from plans from Christopher Schwarz’s Workbench book.
    • Benchcrafted Wagon vise. Highly recommended.
    • Big wood vise screws for the leg and sliding vise.
    • Plug strips under the corner vises to plug in tailed tools and lamps I converted to slide into the dog holes.
    • All dog holes are ¾” round.
    • Veritas Quick Release tail vise diagonally across from the Benchcrafted wagon vise. The reason for this is that the wagon vise dog holes are 4 ½ “ from the front of the bench. I wanted a way to work on small pieces close to the edge of the bench.

I have a bench that has been working well for 4 years. The improvements I have just finished have made it that much better. I glued a new end cap and additional piece along the length of the bench to accommodate the Veritas tail vise.
    When all that was done, I flattened the bench and gave it a coat of boiled linseed oil.

P1010418.jpgP1010420.jpgP1010421.jpgP1010426.jpg

Blog Entries
    Looks great.

My my plans for a bench include it being built from ash.

How do you like it so far?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

That's one nice-looking bench.

Looks great, Marco. I got all excited then realized it wasn't a lefty bench - I've not seen a sliding vise like that before, nifty idea!

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

I built my bench from Ash and now 5 months old I like it. Not as massive as the ones being talked about on this thread but still it does not move in any way. I don't have a finish on it yet and things just don't slide around, so I'm not sure what I'm going to use to finish it because I like that feature. I don't have any problems with the open grain, but I do have another bench where sharpening and metal work takes place. Good luck with your build.

Jim K;

I have been happy with ash as a bench material. It was not expensive here in Arizona. I have some tear out due to some swirling grain and it has not been a problem. I had a small depression in the middle of the bench no worse than 1/8" when I flattened it, I assume it will not move much more. Nice and heavy too.

What do you guys pay for 8/4 ash?

Zach;

I got some 8/4 for mid to high 3's here in Phoenix.

Most of the Ash I used was given to me but what 8/4 I did buy was under 3$ a board foot on Long Island, NY.

The best price I have found here for rough sawn is $3.19. I keep thinking it should be cheaper, but maybe not.

Blog Entries
    Most of my ash was 4/4 and came in at less than a buck a board foot. The few pieces of 8/4 were at the same price.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

That is a GREAT looking bench Marco . . . and Daniel ... What's wrong with we "lefties??"

As to Ash, $2.50 is the best I've ever paid here in Central Cal, but that was about 10 years ago.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

$4.25 bf at the mill, in rural area near Chicago. S4S and every inch was knot-free and totally usable. I did find ash hard to plane without tearout once it had been laminated. Even a jack plane with a toothed iron left some tearout. At the time soft maple was over $6.00. Once you have a bench like these you can never go back to anything less.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hamilton Jr. View Post
    That is a GREAT looking bench Marco . . . and Daniel ... What's wrong with we "lefties??"
    Nuthin! I like seeing lefty workbenches and workshops, they inspire me.

daniel
    (lifelong member of the 'gauche' society)
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

[QUOTE=Marco Cecala;1926998] .
    • Veritas Quick Release tail vise diagonally across from the Benchcrafted wagon vise. The reason for this is that the wagon vise dog holes are 4 ½ “ from the front of the bench. I wanted a way to work on small pieces close to the edge of the bench.

[\QUOTE]

How so you like the Veritas vise vs. the wagon vise. I'm finally going to start my bench and am trying to decide between the two. I'll use square dogs rather than round, though.

Jeff