Thread: 3520B Help...

3520B Help...

Last June I lost my shop to a fire and I've been on the hunt for a 3520b to replace the one I lost...

I have a bead on a used 3520B locally and it seems to be a fairly messy one full of stains from ahhh.. stain. the guy wasn't very careful about applying stain. Unfortunately I like it when things are clean and this thing is UGLY.

The question becomes... Will the stain clean up?

Thanks

Joe,
    Don't worry about the looks as long as the machine is solid, true and not abused. You can always use lacquer thinner or even repaint of necessary. Use the stains to negotiate the lowest price possible. Most woodworkers are vain about how their equipment looks. Play that.
    faust

When you show people your turnings they won't be able to tell how clean your lathe (or the rest of your shop) was.

Blog Entries
    When ever I get something on my lathe bed, I use Barkeepers friend and Marvels mystery oil to make a slurry. This will make the bed look like new. If the painted surface is messy, clean it up and a fresh coat of paint will make it look like new.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I am also one of those folks who likes things clean... and shiny!! To me, it would depend on what kind of deal you can get on the lathe... assuming it is in really good working order. Have to figure the time and effort it will take to get the lathe to your standards!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

If the price is right, a bit of elbow grease and some black paint will make it look like the new Anniversary model!

I picked up a far less than pristine 3520A with lots of extras a couple of years ago for a great price. It has run flawlessly from the start. If you can save enough green I could live with a whole lot of stain!

I too, bought a used 3520B that was less than pristine for a great price (8 months old and about 1/2 of retail price). I cleaned it up and over a few years started to mess it up again. Now, every scratch or stain I add is completely guiltless. Could still sell it for more than I paid and that's worth putting up with a lot of stains.