Thread: Good sources of wood between Seattle and San Jose

Good sources of wood between Seattle and San Jose

I've been lurking here for a while now, thought I'd solicit some information. I'm driving from Seattle to San Jose for the AAW Symposium; I'll be pulling a trailer 'cause I'm bringin' a new lathe back with me. Since there's going to be room, thought I'd stop along the way and see if I can fill some of the extra space. Anyone familiar with good wood merchants within 50 miles of the I-5 corridor from San Jose to Seattle?

In Portland checkout Gilmer Wood, you may want a bigger trailer.
    "The cup of life's for him that drinks, and not for him that sips" - Robert Louis Stevenson

Gilmer is great but don't forget your wallet! Also you might stop in Grant's Pass and look up Oregon Burls. But you will need your wallet there too!
    Last edited by David DeCristoforo; 05-14-2012 at 8:51 PM.
    David DeCristoforo

Gilmer Wood most definitely. However, know that it is not a place you can go to browse. The wood is stacked deep and dense in their warehouse. Look at the wood selections on their website (gilmerwood.com), and make a note of the stock numbers for the pieces you want to see. They are very organized, and will pull the selections for you to look at. You can even send them a list ahead of time, and they will have it ready for you to look at. Your Visa is going to take a beating there. Wish I was going.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Jeffery, for "good deals", there are numerous businesses along the coast, but that's a bit out of your way. However, if you've got the time, it could definitely be worth the effort.

I've got Gilmer on my list...and was toying with the idea of driving the Oregon coast on the way down (I won't have the trailer going down...) but was also hoping to find some walnut on the way back. Oregon burl will also be visited.

Thanks for the help.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    One of the best sources (and quite reasonably priced) is The Boardhoarder in Kirkland, just north of Seattle. Steve has everything from formal bowl blanks, to raw trees, to recycled ship keels. His place is so stacked with materials a skinny guy has to walk sideways to get down the aisles.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Global Wood Source

They're in Santa Clara, just outside of San Jose. Very good people, all the wood you could ever want, decent pricing compared to most.

http://globalwoodsource.com/
    Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling
    Sierra Madre, California

There is Exotic Burls in Coquille, and I know nothing about them. 57304 Fat Elk Rd. 97423, 541-290-1993. I get myrtle and madrone logs from Ron Smith, and he has a mill between Coquille and Mytle point. You have to call him. 541-792-0188. Great guy to deal with, he drops logs off for me in my driveway, and he has some really nice lumber as well. For walnut, there is Goby Walnut which I believe is near Gilmer in Portland. Gary Goby sold his business a few years back, so it isn't him, but nice wood, and high priced. There is Urban Lumber in Springfield, mostly natural edged slabs. Seth is the owner, nice guy, and he may have some turning stock.

robo hippy

i have heard Yosemite aint a bad place to get some nice red wood burls

There is a couple of places along the "Redwood Highway", that is Grant's Pass out to the coast on Highway 199. There are a couple of shops that sell Myrtle (and other woods) along 101. There is one near Gold Beach (back up off the highway) that didn't have anything but Big Leaf the last time I was through.
    Of course there is also Cook Woods in Klamath Falls, but that is back over on Highway 97.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

There's a really good Myrtle Wood place in Garibaldi, forgot the name, but good prices.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck