Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So..What's your story?

I grew up around a variety of tools ranging from mechanic's tools (Great Uncle) to basic woodworking (Father and Grandfather). They had me using tools as soon as I was big enough to pick up whatever it was. Nobody was building furniture by a long shot, just simple carpentry and such. But it was good exposure to different stuff. My Grandfather had a complete darkroom and he taught me to print and develop photos.

It wasn't until ninth grade that I had any formal training. Wood shop was offered and I jumped at it. While I had been around tools all my life, it was nothing like what we had in the school shop. I made some basic stuff like a table lamp and a speaker enclosure. We also did one turned project; I made a nut bowl from walnut. That was the only year shop was offered, but I enjoyed it while it lasted.

After that, I didn't do much of anything until I was out on my own, married and doing maintenance around the house. Even then, it was just basic carpentry -- never thought about building furniture. Actually, I suppose I thought making 'real furniture' was way beyond my capabilities.

When kids came along, I built some of the typical things. Rocking horses, little stools, etc. I had started acquiring more tools, but nothing major. When my Father died in 1984, I inherited all of his tools, which included a ShopSmith, an RAS and a truckload of other items. With better tools, I began to try more advanced pieces, but time was limited due to job responsibilities and three children at home.

I didn't really start doing anything worthwhile until about 1998 when we moved to Florida. I bought my first real tablesaw -- a Craftsman contractor saw that I used until a little over a year ago when I replaced it with a Jet cabinet saw. I think it was 2000 when I built what I'd call my first piece of real furniture, a cherry and walnut cabinet my wife wanted as an end table. After proving to myself I actually could design and build some fairly nice pieces, I studied drawings and read a lot on design and construction procedures.

There were some patient woodworking co-workers at the technology company where I worked who would spend time with me at lunch and on breaks feeding me knowledge. Many times, I'd bounce design questions off of them -- they were very helpful. Then, September 11, 2001 hit all of us.

I went through the end of 2001 and half of 2002 unable to find a suitable position in my field. The time off gave me a lot of opportunity for more self-teaching on woodworking projects. Not having any luck finding work, I started looking at openings in cabinet shops. Most of the shop positions were entry-level -- sweeping floors, etc. I finally saw a posting for a job paying what I felt was a lot more reasonable than entry-level (still, it was less than a third what I had been earning). I got the job.

Going from working by myself in my garage to working around 45 professionals was nerve-wracking. The first day, I was handed a cutlist and shown the basics on and Altendorf slider (I quickly fell in love with that machine!). From June, 2002 until April, 2004 I worked in two cabinet shops and became one of the best producers. In fact, after less than five months at the first shop, the job of lead builder on master suite furniture for a yacht fell in my lap -- we got the job done.

For the past year, I've honed my skills even more. Deciding to officially 'retire' last year at age 60 was a bit unnerving, but LOML and I had things pretty well setup anyway, so I took the plunge. I've made an effort to meet more of the advanced woodworkers in the area to draw on their knowledge. Networking with these folks and joining a woodworking club has been a great help in deciding what types of projects to pursue for potential sale.

I still haven't sold anything I've built, but so far it hasn't mattered. My wife still works full time and probably will for a few more years -- she'd go crazy for sure being around me all the time! I'm sure sales of some pieces will some in time. My main effort now is building a portfolio and completing more 'commissions' for LOML.

Well, thanks for your time. Let's go build something now!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

I started out like a lot of others in Jr. and Sr. high woodshop. I loved it but was college bound. I decided to become and industrial arts teacher(shop). Nine years of teaching taught me it was not for me.
    I left teaching to start a business in heavy construction. It was difficult to make a living in the winters on the North East. I missed woodworking. After nine years in heavy equipment I quit and started a business installing wooden railings on interior staircases. After 15 years,
    business in great, I love getting paid working with wood, It allows me to have a 2000 sq. ft. shop which I use for chair building and furinture making.

Richard
    Last edited by Richard Wolf; 04-01-2005 at 7:41 PM.

My tale is not nearly as interesting.

I had a grandfather who could do anything and everything, but I didn't spend much time with him and he died when I was young. My father has always said that he was "handy with a check book", so he was no help. I had no shop class when I went to school. I have an older brother who's adopted and very handy, but we're clearly from different gene pools.

Mostly, I blame Norm Abram for what's happened to me. I watched him build projects for several years and then (stupidly, as it turns out) thought I could probably do the same thing. Bought a circular saw and built a bench. Next thing I knew I had about $15,000 of tools. I'm a wannabe woodworker. Most of my time is spent wishing I could be woodoworking rather than doing it.

I thought Norm was a god until I saw David Marks' show. Norm still gets all the credit, but David takes the whole concept to a different level.

Jack

Smile New Member

I just enrolled in this forum a couple of days ago.Have been reading about how all of you got started in woodworking.A lot of very interesting stories.I have always admired anyone who was good at woodworking.So when I retired I decided to give it a try.I have 2 main hobbies woodworking and old cars and trucks.I also work a part time job to support them.I have made quite a few things in the woodshop,mostly things for my wife,quilt racks,hangers,etc.It has also come in handy on an old truck I am working on.It has a beautiful Cherry bed floor in it.To me woodworking is one of the most relaxing and enjoyable things I can do.Always nice to back off,look at something and think,I made that.This is my first post on this site,I am sure there will be many more down the road. Dale

Well, as a kid I did not have a father that was into wood working or anything like that. I remember watching in the late sixties and early 70's watching a pbs show that was a wood worker and also periodically Shopsmith wood run a half hour segment when they were in town set up somewhere selling machines. Those shows intriqued me. Our junior high school wood shop was pretty lame and the teacher wasn't interested in anything but metal working so that did nothing to spawn my interst.
    Fast forward to the late 80's & early 90's, I had been a home owner now for about 2 years and the country craft and furniture revolution was in full swing. I went to sears and got me a 8 inch benchtop and a router and eventually outfitted a decent shop and started doing the local craft show circut. Made enought that first year to buy a nice full sized drill press ( still have it) a new 1 1/2 horse router, 9 inch band saw from delta (hated it and band saws in general) and a little delta scroll saw. I got out of the craft show thing and focused more on finished wworking more than the rougher country stuff and still enjoy making nice clocks, cabinets, tables and the such. Great hobby. Just recently got real serious about the hobby again and updating alot of my equipment. Looking forward to many more years of woodworking!
    Corey

Welcome Dale! I'm fairly new here m'self but I think you'll find a whole herd of extremely high caliber human beings here. Not just in skill, but also in character.

I managed to dig through my pile forgotten stuff and found the dartboard cabinet. I decided not to clean it...I just took the picture. I edited my first post and inserted the picture there.. It's a little out of focus but that hides the dirt better.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Let's see now.....

I grew up with an Uncle and Grandfather that were always making things out of wood or even metal and I would "help" as a youngin' always does around the farm / home. I always loved working on wood and didn't really get a start in woodworking until my 9th grade in highschool. My very first project was making "cow head catchers" that we would sell to local farmers at materials cost plus $10 to raise material monies for the shop. This things were heavy and made from White Oak. I kept a small scrap out of it and used the scrap to make / turn a oak nightstick (my very first turning). I then progressed into furniture repair / refinishing when our highschool burned down and spent 4 weeks in the shop at school to build shelving, desks, and chalkboards to help get the school running once again. We did all this over the Christmas holidays and a little past.

After highschool, I went into the U.S. Air Force as an explosives expert. I dabled in woodworking there making shelving and bookcases for various roommates in the military dorm rooms.

I married my wife in Dec 1983 and started then to collect the necessary tools to make my own furniture. I used to take on "odd jobs" of the construction type to raise funding for tools. My wife and I were married for 18 years before I had a full shop of tools to make most anything we needed for our home. I have been seriously doing woodworking now almost every single day for the last 6 years but do have experience totalling about 12 years of woodworking and refinishing.

I am a hobbiest woodworker who takes on the occassional commission job to raise a little "tool money" and to also refine and learn new skills in woodworking. If we don't push ourselves to learn and try new things, then we never really get any better at our adventure in woodworking. Go ahead...stretch yourself..!!!! It will be worth it in the long run!!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

The short story is...short. About 6 and a half years ago I determined I needed an activity for personal mental health. The pressures of work, some grad school and other personal issues just plain required it. As I had already been involved in home improvement, I naturally fell into woodworking, starting with some poor tool choices, but starting, nonetheless. I loved it and still do...it's a serious avocation. Unlike many others, I did not take wood shop in high school (drafting and electrical shop) and did not have any immediate family members in the trade, that I know of. The jury will always be out on the mental health success , but who cares?

And this Internet thing just makes it all that more fun...sharing is nicer than solitary pursuits.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-01-2005 at 8:40 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My father was a cabinet maker just after the wwII, he and my grandfather built our home and pretty much everything in it that I remember as a kid, from the cabinets to our play blocks. He got out of that to be a cop but the tools filled half the basement. I always loved to use them and did the same in school when shop was available. My first project as a kid was a cookoo clock, which I never got to work... I think it's still in their basement, assembled as it should be but it's never uttered a peep.
    When I was in the service there was a really nice shop available to us on base and I built most of my own funiture at the time (1977 or so), most of which is still in use. Built most of my current house and a few canoes after inheriting my dad's tools. I'm at the point now where I can't stand to buy something made of wood as I just know I can build it as least as well as I the ones I can buy (or at least that's what I tell myself). Now with the kids gone I've got time to actually build all those things I've refused to buy over the last 20 years. So I guess I'm just starting my serious phase, new toys and all. Finally updating all those tools my father used. Of couse I haven't gotten rid of a single one.

Mine is not an old tale, so much. Like many others, I took a semester of WW in High School and enjoyed it well enough. That was about it until August, 2004. My wife had seen this valance on a baby program on television and asked if I could make something like that. My response was the obvious one, "Sure... if I had the right tools." And from there, a monster was born.

I did take a WW class through the local community college in the evenings during the fall. I re-learned some stuff, and learned a few new things. I've probably watched each of the D. Marks shows at least twice, and recently started watching NYW. Of course, I've been picking up lots of info here at SMC!
    I haven't made much, so far. Since August, I've made the valance (of course), coat rack, entertainment center (the same project was a bookshelf in high school), a stepstool, and six pantry cabinets for my garage. The next project will be two built-in desks for the upstairs hallway.

When I began this new obsession in August, it came at a good time for me, as it filled, like Jim, the need to do something besides work in the office. I'd been in need of a hobby that LOML would find acceptable (read that: won't take time away from her, but time away from her is acceptable as long as it's productive) for some time. WW is becoming a great way for me to try to stay balanced.

My first woodworking experience was as a Sophomore in High School wood shop. I really enjoyed the course although my skills were not exactly well honed.

After that introduction, I took a couple of courses at the local community college after college. However, I really didn't get into it heavily until about three years ago. The two triggers were my desire to take up a "home" hobby for my eventual retirement and the fact that once the kids started leaving home, I finally had some disposable income for me!

As we all know, it is a great hobby and one that our family and friends support since they get to enjoy the results.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

I want to thank everyone so far for posting your stories. This will be a wonderful addition for my fledgling website. I have posted the current stories already and have monitored traffic and found that people are reading them. Thank you...And keep'm coming.

You can find them at my blog - Do-It-Myself.com which is designed to help people do things themselves. I intend to grow it to touch every subject possible.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by John Hart; 04-05-2005 at 10:10 PM.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Got bored, bought a scroll saw, fell in love with wood...the look, the feel, the smell, it's infinitely variable character. The rest is history. Don't consider myself a woodworker, though I now have a fully equiped shop. I am still, and always will be, a student of wood since it teaches me something new almost every single day.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Carole Valentine
    ... I am still, and always will be, a student of wood since it teaches me something new almost every single day.
    Absolutely! ... I consider myself a fourth year "rookie" too!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I grew up without a dad, didn't take shop in high school. The first real wood working I can remember is when I was in the Army in Germany in 1966, we had a workshop in the basement of our barricks. I consructed a box with a false bottom to hide my "stash" in my wall locker. It fit in the bottom of the locker and had a display of my army stuff, but a secret panel slid out at exposed the secret chamber.
    While my kids were growing up, I built the usual toy boxes, study desks, etc, but they were always pretty crude.
    In 1991, my wife had a stoke and was hosipitalized for about 6 months. I would get off work at 5pm, go to the hospital and visit with the wife until 7pm, then go home and help my teenage daughter cook dinner for my two smaller kids. I told myself that when this was over, I was going to do something for myself. Later that year, I took a 3 day Furniture making course at the Shopsmith (now Woodcraft) store in Addison, TX. Bill, the instuctor, was a great teacher. I realized that I had more talent than I had thought. I just had to learn how to keep things square. My first project, a little drop leaf table turned out great. In each of my subsequent projects, I've learned a little more, with the results improving as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Herb
    Carrollton, Texas

Whatever you are, be a good one. -Abraham Lincoln