Thread: New Veritas chisels are here

New Veritas chisels are here

The O2 metal versions are out, powdered metal to follow. What do you think?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...19&cat=51&ap=1

Well....I prefer the look of lie-nielsens. And at a couple of bucks cheaper, I probably would go with those. I have no doubt that the lee valley's are truly a top notch chisel though. I'm sure they made the side lands pretty small, but I'd like to see a close-up picture. It's also interesting they have two different bevel angles depending on the width. My only regret is there is no lee valley store nearby where I can put my hands on the chisels to feel the weight and balance. Hopefully they will have them at WIA West to try out. The powdered metal ones seem truly unique and a very interesting proposition from a wear standpoint.

This isn't going to be popular, but if I were going to spend close to that amount, I'd just pay an extra 20% for the PM steel.

There are so many good plain carbon steel vintage chisels in that hardness range for 1/3rd the price, that there would have to be more there for me visually/design wise, especially in regard to the bolster area, to spend $60 on a chisel made of something common and inexpensive like O1.

But they're another option and they are different. It's nice when a maker comes out with something a little different, because there will always be folks where the new design is just the thing they were looking for.

Hard to tell by the pictures, but the angles on the sides look steep. Might be hard getting into dovetails with these. Again, it just might be the pictures, but I know my DT's have steeper angles than the one pictured.

Michael

I've just posted a review (in case you have missed this) : http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...selReview.html

The lands are sharp (warning: stone them from 1" back), and the shoulders are angled perfectly for dovetailing.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I love the LV planes so I will be tempted to try these. I may wait for the new steel to come out. I have more LN's and 750's than I can ever use. That said, LV has earned my respect enough to try these. I wish they were hollow ground, but they will be if they live with me.

Jim

I preface this by saying I love LV - the service, the innovation, Rob, the whole thing... BUT these chisels are a bit more expensive than I thought they'd be. In O1 about $100 more than a set of 6 O1 Ashley Isles Mk2. No doubt they are top notch chisels though.

Derek, a comparison to the AI's would be interesting given they're both O1 and similar handle styles. Dont spose you've got both lying around ?

Hi Andrew

The AI chisels are not available in Oz. There are a few sets of Western chisels around that would be a natural choice for comparison. The AIs would be on that list. Another would be the O1 LNs. I am sure that someone else will compare their pros and cons at some time.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I only have one AI chisel, a 1/4" mark II, and have only handled the LN at their handtool events. I haven't tried the AI "American Pattern" (butt-chisel style).

The LN seemed to have a bit better balance than the AIs when doing chopping tasks where you hold the chisel like a pencil by the blade or shank. I like the feel of the AI better for other tasks, though.

The thing I really like about the AI I have is that the blade is thinner though - it still feels like it'd hold up to light chopping, but I wouldn't try and say, chop a mortise with it. The thinner blade has got a bit of flex to it, which I find is nice for more control in general tasks. The thinner blade also gives you a little more room to skew the blade in tight cuts. It's not a paring chisel, but not a brute either. I don't know if this holds up across the range, perhaps the larger blades are thicker or simply feel more stout because of the width of the blade. If I the American pattern chisels have the same blade, simply shorter, I'd feel a little more inclined to give 'em a harder whack or take a bigger bite, but I've got mortise chisels for the really rough stuff, and old socket chisels for the anything that falls in between. The lands are perfect (for me) on the chisel I have - narrow to almost nothing at the cutting tip, but rounded just enough coming up the back that you'll never cut yourself.

If, as Derek mentions, there are veritas paring chisels coming, that's something I'd be intrigued with - a proper, slightly flexibly bladed chisel with a nice long blade is great thing for many tasks, and are harder to come across than bench chisels.

Derek's review is nice, and edge retention is important, but the thing I find more important in chisels the more and more I work is the ease of sharpening. The thing I love about a nice 01 chisel is that it sharpens so well that with a strop or a fine stone over at the side of my bench, I keep the thing sharp all day if I simply remember to give a few swipes now and then. I find (for me) with A2, by the time I start getting physical feedback about the cutting action, it's often a bit too far for stropping or my 8k. This is likely more a combination of user error and the few A2 blades I use being in planes and spokeshaves than a comment on the tools though.

I have a set of these. They are fantastic. Really REALLY fantastic. The backs are insanely flat all the way to the handle....total overkill but very nice. When you first pick them up, the handles feel quite different if you are used to longer, less curvy handles like on the AI chisels. I honestly didn't like the handles at first, but as soon as you start using them the handle design makes perfect sense and is very comfortable - tons of control and power. As Derek said, the side bevels are perfect for dovetailing. The edge retention is fantastic, and I really like that the 1/4 and 3/8 come with a steeper angle ground itno them. When I was testing them I deliberately used only the 3/8 and 3/4 so I could get a good idea of edge longevity. I used the 3/8 to chop a mortise in white oak, after I had use it to chop a set of half-blind dovetails and clean out the waste on two dados - it could still pare end grain (though not as prettily) after chopping the mortise.

The balance and weight are the best parts. They look kinda heavy, but when you pick them up they are incredibly light and balanced feeling. It is really surprising and I couldn't quite wrap my head around it at first - the first time I picked up the 1" I laughed because in terms of weight what I saw with my eyes didn't agree with what felt in my hands.

When holding them near the cutting edge for chopping dovetails the center of gravity feels very close to the work - my AI butt chisels, which were previously my favorite DT chisels, feel top heavy by comparison. The weird thing is when you pick up the LV chisels for a paring task they don't feel front heavy as you would expect given how low the center of gravity feels when you are chopping - when they are in your hand it feels as though the COG has moved up towards your handle and they feel very balance. It really bizarre and awesome...you'll have to hold them to see what I mean.

In all honesty, if you already have a really good set of chisels, you certainly do not need to replace them with these, but if you are looking for a new set and have the budget these will be tough to beat... Like all premium tools they won't make you a better woodworker, but they are very much a plesure to use. They are every bit the chisel that the LNs are, and a choice between the two would come down to personal preference.

My only complaint about them is that they come with a secondary bevel already ground into them, which too me, kinda defeats the purpose of a secondary bevel. Its an easy enough fix though. Also, I wish they had made a 1/8".

Sorry to sound like so much of a fanboy, but I really really love these chisels. What else is there to say.

Oh yeah....and the handles smell like maple syrup!!!

As far as the price goes, I guess if you're buying one at a time, particularly the larger sizes, it might seem like a bigger difference, but for me, if I was buying a set of 5, the 20 bucks difference between the set of LN and the set of LV is pretty much regardless to me once I'm spending at that price point, particularly on something that I would plan to last me the rest of my woodworking life. I would simply buy the ones that felt best to me, or looked best to me, or whatever.

When I first started looking at "premium" tools from LN and LV and others, I used to mull over the price - until I realized sweating that 20 bucks difference on a couple hundred dollar plane wasn't worth it, and bought what I felt suited me best.