Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: GUESS what I bought contest thread, with a PRIZE for the winner, a real prize!

LIKE THIS ONE?......

http://www.woodweb.com/exchanges/mac...ts/457417.html

I did't know you were looking for a jointer. I passed on a F1 in Louisiana a little while ago, went for $1700. Transport cost were too much for me.

Congrats, Larry

Ohhhhh Boy! New Junk! [my wife's term]

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    John, I was waiting on your guess as I had a feeling you were in the area just waiting for your foward observer to laze the target, playing your cards close to the vest.

Jerrimy, I may do another contest BUT it is clear I talk too much, there are two people in this thread who have guessed 2 of my next 3 planned purchases and done it exactly and more than one has guessed my alternative to one of those 3 if my first choice doesn't pop up! Maybe they will have to guess the year it was built and the social security number (or tax ID #) of the original purchaser... that might take "yall" an extra day.
    Ha ha. I was just following the rules and waiting for your next clue. My next post was Northfield 12" Jointer, but that wouldn't have really gotten it anyway. You have good taste in machinery, but apparently awful taste in homes. Pick a state and get a workshop going, will ya'?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    LIKE THIS ONE?......

http://www.woodweb.com/exchanges/mac...ts/457417.html

I did't know you were looking for a jointer. I passed on a F1 in Louisiana a little while ago, went for $1700. Transport cost were too much for me.

Congrats, Larry

Ohhhhh Boy! New Junk! [my wife's term]

Yes, basically exactly like that except newer, direct drive, more modern guards front and rear and with the handbrake. I don't know why they call it a #8 a Northfield #8 is a 31" planer. Their jointers are either medium or heavy duty (no model # as such). Actually, when the one on woodweb was built they were called light duty but sometime I think in the late 50's or early 60' they changed it to medium duty but the jointer was the same.

BTW I paid a LOT less than the one of Woodweb!, there were actually two of those from that same era both belt drive single phase in the same auction and they both had little interest and went for $400 and change so I was hopeful I would get a STEAL on the 3ph one since the other 3ph stuff wasn't drawing much interest but two other guys seemed to have seen the merits in the particular one I wanted and the final proce was almost $900 with buyers premium, but being local and no shipping made me feel good about the purchase. It wasn't bottom feeder scrap price but I think it was well bought considering a new one runs almost exactly 15 times that I figure 7% of new was fair... There was also a PM180 planer I would have liked to have gotten (went for less than 800) but I have not fully decided on what planer I want and the PM planers take up a chunk of real estate BUT grinder bars and grinders are plentiful for them AND Byrd jornal heads are cheap for them compared to most of the other old iron planers. My Northfield will NOT have a Byrd on it, they have made a handful of these BUT the price is more in line with a custom build than an off the shelf head, it is the price paid for the smoothness of a direct drive machine.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Ha ha. I was just following the rules and waiting for your next clue. My next post was Northfield 12" Jointer, but that wouldn't have really gotten it anyway. You have good taste in machinery, but apparently awful taste in homes. Pick a state and get a workshop going, will ya'?
    If my wife hadn't decided to go back to school in the state where I have no shop I would have one at least half the time. If I could quit buying machines and concentrate on getting the shop built I would be fine, first it was the neighborhood HOA now it is my own lack of focus. It makes it harder because with the HOA I have to go straight from start to finish so I have to have the liquid cash to finish before I start and machines (and other goofy things like life) keep nibbling away at the fund as fast as I put it in! If nothing else sooner or later I will run out of machines to buy and/or room to store them and I won't have a choice.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Ok, now answer me this. I have not done research on Northfields as I am looking for a lever machine, but what is the difference between a HD and what I see refered to as a patternmakers jointer? Same machine?

The homeowners association at my new shop consists of deer, elk, coon, coyotes, fox, skunks, bear and an occasional wolf. They have had no complaints about anything I have done so far except keeping my garbage cans inside. Its 40 miles out my back door to the next house, so noise is not a big issue. There is one house next door, my brother in law, but although he is big, I think I can take him.

I think I may back down on size. I was set on a 16", but I am getting too old to do much more post and beam work and have been thinking a 12" may be alright. I have noticed that it is easier to get a good deal on 12" over 16"

How far are you from Gros Tete La.? My favorite hole in the wall eating place in this country is there off of 10, little truck stop with good Cajun and absolutely loaded with character, and characters. Its hard to say whats better, the Cajun or the people watching. Not sure I would want to see the kitchen though.....

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Ok, now answer me this. I have not done research on Northfields as I am looking for a lever machine, but what is the difference between a HD and what I see refered to as a patternmakers jointer? Same machine?

The homeowners association at my new shop consists of deer, elk, coon, coyotes, fox, skunks, bear and an occasional wolf. They have had no complaints about anything I have done so far except keeping my garbage cans inside. Its 40 miles out my back door to the next house, so noise is not a big issue. There is one house next door, my brother in law, but although he is big, I think I can take him.

I think I may back down on size. I was set on a 16", but I am getting too old to do much more post and beam work and have been thinking a 12" may be alright. I have noticed that it is easier to get a good deal on 12" over 16"

How far are you from Gros Tete La.? My favorite hole in the wall eating place in this country is there off of 10, little truck stop with good Cajun and absolutely loaded with character, and characters. Its hard to say whats better, the Cajun or the people watching. Not sure I would want to see the kitchen though.....

Larry
    It is hard to say whether I see better deals on 12 or 16" jointers down here, depends on the day. There was a 16" Moak at the same auction and it went for $1200 and change so under $1400 with premium. It was 40's era and in user condition. Down here Yates, Porter, Northfield and Oliver get all the attention anything else seems to go cheap. I don't know how nice a machine you want, or whether you want Euro or American but Bill Kerfoot usually has a lot of rehabbed old iron and his prices seem more than fair. I have not bought from him so I would make some inquiries but he moves a lot of machines. Right now he has several 12 and 16" jointers, look for his name in the woodweb classifieds and send him an email and he will send you his list, you have to email or call for pricing but he has several jointers on woodweb right now so you can get an idea.

Patternmakers or drafting jointers are more adjustable than a standard jointer but they at least allow you to tilt the infeed table (usually no more than 5 degrees) to put a taper or "draft" on the work. This was needed to allow the pattern to slip out of the mold cleanly without bungling up the sand. Some patternmakers jointers had several other adjustments as well. You could buy the Northfield HD as a patternmakers jointer but the vast majority were not sold that way. In general I would avoid a patternmakers jointer since they are harder to keep in adjustment just due to having more adjustments and I have ZERO use for any of the drafting features.

We are about 60 miles from Grosse Tete (big head). My wife has family that live about 10 miles from there. I am pretty sure I know the truck stop you are talking about but I haven't eaten there. There are so many of those places you just find a favorite. We have a decent one right outside our neighborhood, nice since you can walk home after having a few.

Soft serve ice cream machine?

Quote Originally Posted by C Scott McDonald View Post
    Soft serve ice cream machine?
    If that were the case I would weigh more than the jointer by next fall...

Hmmmm, the jointer, huh? Wonder if that is a "clue". Let's go with an Oliver 12" model 106 jointer.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Hmmmm, the jointer, huh? Wonder if that is a "clue". Let's go with an Oliver 12" model 106 jointer.
    Your a little late Mike, it is a Northfield. Interestingly enough I really wanted a Oliver 166 that a fellow Creeker has BUT the logistics of getting it 1000 miles+ was just too much and I couldn't pass up this deal on something that will fit in my shop better.

Hehe, I thought I had read through all the posts, but apparently missed most of them. Yeah, late to the party...that's me...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Hehe, I thought I had read through all the posts, but apparently missed most of them. Yeah, late to the party...that's me...
    Call your buddy Peter and tell him to buy that BS he PMed me about NOW don't let him be late to that party! I am being serious, I would call him if I knew his number!

Will, do!.....
    I drink, therefore I am.