Got a new Griz saw a couple months ago. The manual outlines the flutter method for tensioning which was (is) totally new to me. The saw came with a 1/2" blade installed and pretensioned to around 2 on the scale. I did a few cuts, then retensioned following the instructions and ended up at 2 just like the factory setting each time.

Installed a 1/4"x 6 tpi general purpose blade from Highland Woodworking and used the flutter method to tension. Ended up at 4 3/4 on the tension scale. Seemed really high as compared to the 1/2" supplied blade. Redid the flutter method a couple times & came up with the same setting.

Fast forward 3 months. I've done very little woodworking since tensioning as I'm reorganizing the shop & DC. I do release the tension when not in use, pulled the tension lever last night to make a cut and BAM!! The band broke right at the weld.

I was concerned about the tension right away but wrote it off as a cheap 1/2" blade compared to a pretty good 1/4" blade. Anyone with a 513 shed some light? Did I tension incorrectly? What kind of tension numbers do you see on your saws?