Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Lidded box - demo practice

Cherry Lidded box - demo practice

Here is another lidded box I turned today.......again this is one for the demo in July to show along with making one. I will make several of these to pass around to show the different styles and woods, as well as some holding with a tenon and some with a recess.........this one I did with a tenon.

The box is a dome shape ........I made a smaller one some months ago and my wife really liked it, so this is similar to it...........5-5/8" tall and 2-3/4" wide. Finished with General Finishes Wood Turners Finish. Comments always welcome.

Now that I have this off the lathe............I wish in retrospect that I had just made a simple knob for the top instead of the stepped one........it would have looked better IMO.............I guess that is why it is practice.........an error in design which could have been avoided with a sketch prior to putting tools to wood!

IMGP3368.jpgIMGP3366.jpgIMGP3367.jpg
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 05-15-2012 at 1:56 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

As Bob Ross used to say - "we don't make mistakes, we just have happy little accidents!" I think it looks fine, Roger, and it is very similar to the one done previously, but I like this one a bit better. The top works for me.

I'm with John, I really like this box and the top is really nice. I like the stepped look better.

Another fine box. I like both this on and the previous one.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

John, Jason and Steve.........you are all too kind! Thanks........I guess in my mind I see what I think I should have done........it turned out okay, but in my mind it looks better the other way!

Looks really nice!

The stepped top is closer in appearance to the domes of Red Square which is a very classic look.

Roger I must say I don't see a thing wrong. I like the stepped top. Really nicely done Roger.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Roger
    I like the step top,I found that people tend to pry the lid off if you use anything very big on top and that loosens the lid on the box.
    Just MHO
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Just saw this piece tonight in person at the CVW meeting and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Nice piece, nice style, don't be so hard on yourself Roger.

Thanks Dave, Eric, Bernie and Harry............perhaps I need to take inspiration from those dome shapes in Red Square like Eric mentioned.........they are geometrically appealing

Kevin...........thanks a bunch........I appreciate your assessment............we had a good meeting this evening. I was tempted to get on one of those lathes, and help out the guys who were struggling a bit, but decided there were experienced guys already helping the turners who were trying to get their forms to come to life.

Enjoy that new Rikon bandsaw.......sounds like a great machine!

Roger, the box looks good and I bet by the time your demo comes up you will cut a considerable amount of time off what it takes to make one. For the demo, I would consider using plain bees wax for a finish, especially if you are pressed for time. It makes the wood come to life almost instantly and if something goes wrong with the fit of the lid, just build up some wax to compensate and no more problem.

13. Pretty good tip on that wax, Hayes.........I am hoping to be able to have a fluid process down, with out having to stop and think about what I should do next.........we only have about 45 minutes to demo......maybe an hour, so I have got to get my speed up a little........especially since I don't turn every day..........I catch an hour here or there when I can, but find it hard to come by a lot of times!

Thanks!

Roger, I think it looks nice, and I prefer the stepped knob over a plain one. Another nice finish for a demo is the old blo, shellac, dna combo. Goes on quick and dries right away. Good luck. Break a leg.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

15. Thanks Doug!