Thread: Trimming my dwarf Japanese maple

Question Trimming my dwarf Japanese maple

I have a nice dwarf Japanese maple,about 2-3 feet tall. The limbs hang down ,it looks very nice. Some of the branches are touching the ground. Does anyone know if I should trim the branches so they do not rest on the ground?
    Thanks
    Dennis

Are you having bug or pest problems? We had three of them and I don't think we ever pruned anything, but if I had bug or animal issues with the ends of the branches, I'd be inclined to prune them.

If you like how it looks, leave it alone. If you don't like it, prune it into a shape you like. I don't think there are any health risks to the tree either way.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

They should be fine..if you want you could prop them up a little with some forked sticks, but we let ours drag.

Blog Entries
    I had a japanese maple when I lived in Seattle. About 3' tall and 8' in diameter. Ends of branches touched the grass. They would get a little beat up when I pushed the mower underneath. Nothing seemed to hurt it. I wouldn't worry.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Do a Google search for pruning it. From what I found, take it easy pruning.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

In a cool climate they can take a lot of pruning but it's not really needed in your case. I have many of them including several bonsai and have cut them back to stumps in winter and they pop back in spring. this one I chopped to a 3" tall
    trunk a few years ago, all the branches are new since.

maple2010July.jpg

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Blog Entries
    If you do prune them, be sure to prune back to a branch, don't just shorten a branch mid stem.

Thanks for all the replies, I think I'll just leave the tree alone
    Dennis