Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ash lidded box - more demo practice

Ash lidded box - more demo practice

This one is ash.........I like ash, because of the grain figure. I want to give a shout out to Mike Stafford.....I saw a similar form on his website........I do not know if it is his original design.........I think I may have seen some of Richard Raffan's boxes in this style also.........so credit for inspiration goes to both of them.....thank you gentlemen!

My intent......different styles, different woods to pass around at the demo in July..........C & C welcome! This one stands 4-1/16 inches high and is 2.75 wide.

IMGP3378.jpgIMGP3375.jpgIMGP3374.jpgIMGP3372.jpg
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Looks like to me, you can quit "practicing", you have this down pat. When I started boxes, I used a pdf tutorial by Mike Stafford that really helped me out. I don't make them very often, so I usually refer back to it.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

I just watched Raffan's DVD last week and those are VERY Raffanesque. Good job and I'm sure the demo will go well. I have to start prepping for a demo on a multi-axis box for both my club and a neighboring one.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Thanks Thom and Steven........much appreciated! Good luck on your multi axis demo Thom........Barbara Dill just did one for one of our clubs here..........I did not have all day to devote to it, so I missed it.........maybe next time!

Looks pretty good to me Roger! Reminds me a little of one of those tents you would expect to see in Arabian Nights!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Looks pretty good to me Roger! Reminds me a little of one of those tents you would expect to see in Arabian Nights!
    Thanks Steve........I wish I could have gotten better pics.........I don't know if the batteries in my wife's camera are about shot, or what, but the flash did not work on most of the pics...........I had it on auto focus, and I am completely out of my league in photography.........

You're just having way too much fun with these little beauties Roger, great selection
    Pete

Best of the bunch, so far, Roger!!! Very clean.

Nothing wrong with that box. Keep them coming!

I love the simple elegance of this piece, your finish and grain match between lid and base are very well done. The little detail inside the lid adds a nice surprise to someone peeking inside. Good job! I need to find a copy of Raffan's DVD and try my hand at one.
    Call me Jim, James seems so stuffy.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

11. Thanks James......these boxes have been fun for me.......and they are neat little useful gifts as well.....most of the ladies seem to like them, so go for it........you might be a hero!

These have all been nice boxes Roger, but I agree with John this is the best of the bunch! Super nice work on this, I like the detailing on the inside of the lid. How long does it take you to turn one of these?
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

13. Quote Originally Posted by Rick Markham View Post
    These have all been nice boxes Roger, but I agree with John this is the best of the bunch! Super nice work on this, I like the detailing on the inside of the lid. How long does it take you to turn one of these?
    I turned this one in about 45 minutes..........add another 10 for finishing. I can do it quicker, once I get the steps down and quickly move from one step to another with more fluidity. That in part is the reason for doing several in advance of the demo.....to help me speed things up, and of course to have a few examples to pass around to the audience.

Really nice looking box Roger. Nice clean lines and really nice finish.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Really nice looking box Roger. Nice clean lines and really nice finish.

Thanks Bernie!!!