Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An observation/question about Wood Turners Finish [WTF]

An observation/question about Wood Turners Finish [WTF]

I am probably not the only one that has noticed this..........I bring it up because not all the turners in my clubs, or here on this forum use it yet.........but for the ones that have.........

I have noticed that given 24 hours after the finish is done on the turning...........there must be a curing that develops and the time elapsed from last coat to the next day shows what I would consider an upgrade from a short period of time after the last coat.

I looked at that cherry dome lidded box, and the finish is nicer today than when I did it yesterday and took pics....and the ash box today.........this evening it looks much better than when I took pics this morning........must be something about the cure that levels and hardens to a smoother finish.......they also look a bit glossier than at first..........

Anyone else using WTF notice this?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger, an interesting observation and one I thought I was also noticing, but really had not latched on to the idea. In short, the finish is dry in 30 minutes or so and can be recoated...but the next day it really POPS. Dry vs cured I suppose. In any event thanks for your post. By the way, I really like General's WTF.

All the best, Tom
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hamilton View Post
    Roger, an interesting observation and one I thought I was also noticing, but really had not latched on to the idea. In short, the finish is dry in 30 minutes or so and can be recoated...but the next day it really POPS. Dry vs cured I suppose. In any event thanks for your post. By the way, I really like General's WTF.

All the best, Tom
    I like it also, Tom...........and I am glad at least one person understood what I was saying! Must be the hardeners in the product or something..........it just seems to smooth out and have a nicer finish than an hour after you are done with the piece..........at least that is what I am seeing.

Thanks for speaking up!

bought two cans today

Wew, glad to hear how much everyone likes the WTF. I just bought two pints today at Woodcraft. I'm excited to try it. Thanks to everyone for reporting on this!
    TB

Roger I noticed the same thing but hadn't given it much thought. All the pieces I finished with WTF always looked better or brighter a few days later. I never mentioned it because I thought it was my eye's playing tricks on me.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I'm watching this piece I'm working on right now. This is piece number 3 and I have to say, I like shooting it out of my airbrush much better than trying to get it on evenly by hand. I had noticed what you mentioned Roger, but I just thought I was imagining it LOL
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

I guess we all can't be crazy! There is something to this "change" that takes place.........it seems you get a pretty nice finish when you're done...........especially after 6 or 8 coats.........then you look at it a couple days later, and you say "man, that looks absolutely terrific" ......like all on its own the finish just upgraded!

I suspect the fact that it is H2O based has relevance to this observation. I have noticed that as it dries the "color" lightens, especially after the first coat that wets the wood the most.

I have noticed the exact opposite effect with some of the oil based finishes I have used, they sometimes dont look quite so good a few days later. This is after the piece has been buffed and waxed so maybe it is just the wax getting a little more dull after it has exposed to the air or something. Just an observation. Jared

10. Quote Originally Posted by jared herbert View Post
    I have noticed the exact opposite effect with some of the oil based finishes I have used, they sometimes dont look quite so good a few days later. This is after the piece has been buffed and waxed so maybe it is just the wax getting a little more dull after it has exposed to the air or something. Just an observation. Jared
    Jared.........I wonder if wax oxidizes? If it does that could explain the dull look a few days later.......

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Markham View Post
    I'm watching this piece I'm working on right now. This is piece number 3 and I have to say, I like shooting it out of my airbrush much better than trying to get it on evenly by hand. I had noticed what you mentioned Roger, but I just thought I was imagining it LOL
    Hey Rick, what kind of airbrush do you spray your wtf through?

Jack
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

OK, OK, OK. If all of you don't work for the General, you should! I'm going to make a run across town tomorrow and buy me some...all because of you! Dang vortex!

Yeah, me too. All of this praise for wtf lately ... I may just have to run to Woodcraft this weekend and pick some up (along with a few other things).

General had better start ramping up production.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Steve Vaughan View Post
    OK, OK, OK. If all of you don't work for the General, you should! I'm going to make a run across town tomorrow and buy me some...all because of you! Dang vortex!

Sorry Steve....... ........you know you love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Gaskins View Post
    Hey Rick, what kind of airbrush do you spray your wtf through?

Jack
    Jack, I use an Iwata Eclipse siphon feed with a .5mm cone and needle. I tried my Iwata Eclipse gravity feed with a .35mm needle, but wasn't having much luck. ( I think I've got a bent needle tip)

For anyone with a hobby lobby around, if you take a 40% off coupon you can get an Iwata eclipse airbrush for about $90. Not a bad deal considering you can't find them cheaper than about $160 online.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein