Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic new machine coming?

In my view the only issue with the PM2800 is QC some are purrrfect and others are runout/vibration dogs.
    It is morethat just runout. It's just overall a poorly made drill press. We bought one at work and it has been a huge dissapointment. let me count the ways: cheap chuck- freezes up on larger forstner or holesaw bits, have to break loose with pipe wrences. The little built in light ( a nice idea) burned out after less that six months. The set screw in the crank to raise/lower comes loose and the handel comes off frequently. The geared strip that the rack and pinion rides on is light weight; first one broke, the second is bowed out. The block that the contains the dept stop rod kept working loose, finally striped the threads and had to retap. Next to the old Delta and Rockwell DPs we have had for years with no problems, it's pretty pathetic. I'm not a PM hater, have a PM2000 Im very happy with. But for my money I would take a Grizzly Drill press any day over the PM2800. It's OK I guess for the light duty hobbyist...

The retailer I spoke with talked like they were soon to bring it to market, it didn't sound as though they were gonna wait. IIRC, he talked about a system that would clamp the blade to stop it without damaging the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post
    The retailer I spoke with talked like they were soon to bring it to market, it didn't sound as though they were gonna wait. IIRC, he talked about a system that would clamp the blade to stop it without damaging the blade.
    I certainly wouldn't bet the farm against it but I would bet a dollar it wouldn't happen before the issues get resolved. My guess if it is going to happen in the next year we will hear about it in the early morning of August 22nd.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Ok, it escapes me, what's the significance of Aug 22nd?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post
    Ok, it escapes me, what's the significance of Aug 22nd?
    First day of the 2012 IWF (International Woodworking Fair) in Atlanta probably the biggest in the world and THE place to make such an announcement since it will get immediate coverage from every woodworking media outlet in the US.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I was reading that "flesh sensing" tables, meaning SawStop, are outselling the higher quality cabinet saws (Powermatic and Unisaw...) by 3 - 1. If so, it seems a safe bet they will offer a similar flesh sensing saw to be competitive - while the courts have yet to speak and plenty online posters squeak, the real message has been delivered by the only place that counts - the market and the wallets of table saw shoppers.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hawser View Post
    I was reading that "flesh sensing" tables, meaning SawStop, are outselling the higher quality cabinet saws (Powermatic and Unisaw...) by 3 - 1. If so, it seems a safe bet they will offer a similar flesh sensing saw to be competitive - while the courts have yet to speak and plenty online posters squeak, the real message has been delivered by the only place that counts - the market and the wallets of table saw shoppers.
    I'm curious who determined the 3 to 1 ratio.........

I remember when Delta had a similar countdown clock a few years back. Since that time they have not kept up with innovation very well in my opinion. I hope PM isn't about to jump a shark.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Only two more days.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Maybe they are announcing they have been bought by Black and Decker ..

We could have Powermatic Toasters and Weed Whackers by Xmas ..

Okay.. not funny..

Not a flesh-sensing table saw but the speculation should be over by the end of this coming weekend.
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

Pm4224b - sliding headstock, 40-3500 rpmNovember 15" steel frame bandsawJanuary is a new drill pressWill try and post a pic of lathe in a bit..Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hedges View Post
    Pm4224b - sliding headstock, 40-3500 rpmNovember 15" steel frame bandsawJanuary is a new drill pressWill try and post a pic of lathe in a bit..Chris.
    Interested in seeing what the 15" bandsaw will be like.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hedges View Post
    Hope this is true, possibly a few new things from Powermatic. I kind of had a feeling it might have be more than 1 tool. A lot of hype for just 1 tool.

PHM

well d day is here......