Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic new machine coming?

Looks like nice lathe, but overpriced in my opinion.

Yep, new lathe. $7,500
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

And how is that (at that price range) better than a Oneway, Vicmarc, or other top brand lathes?

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    And how is that (at that price range) better than a Oneway, Vicmarc, or other top brand lathes?
    That is what I was worried about, the pirce makes a Robust, Oneway ans Stubby look resonable considering where they are built.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Sure.. but does Oneway give you a free smock with each new lathe purchase ?

http://content.powermatic.com/conten...mock-Offer.pdf

Seems like a bunch of money for an Asian Import..

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    Sure.. but does Oneway give you a free smock with each new lathe purchase ?

http://content.powermatic.com/conten...mock-Offer.pdf

Seems like a bunch of money for an Asian Import..
    No kidding.... I'm sure some will disagree, but I personally feel that the "value" of an item is directly influenced by it's cost of manufacture. Things that are made using cents an hour labor just aren't worth as much to me.

Looks like a step back, way back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    That is what I was worried about, the pirce makes a Robust, Oneway ans Stubby look resonable considering where they are built.
    For a couple hundred more, I can get a Robust of the same size with the same features. I did notice that the powermatic is about 300 pounds more though.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Boyd View Post
    Looks like a step back, way back to me.
    Explain...

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Effinger View Post
    For a couple hundred more, I can get a Robust of the same size with the same features. I did notice that the powermatic is about 300 pounds more though.
    They filled the PM with lots of what they consider value added features, not available on most lathes, the question is what are they worth. Most woodworkers I know, myself included like to pay for better "bones" upfront and deal with add ons as time/money permit and just the ones they actually want or need. I like many of the PM products and a lot of their features but sometimes they go a step too far which takes the price a step too far. This new lathe is up there with the big boys and so is the PM1800 bandsaw... The latter doesn't get a lot of love here since it looks like a poor value, though it is a great machine.

Explain...
    I would have to think the break even point is pretty high for that price and they may never recoup the investment. I think they priced themselves out of the market. The only features that may set itself apart say from the Oneway 2436 is a longer bed and the vacuum system on the chuck. I don't see the purpose of moving the headstock around so you can turn on the outboard. Plenty of other lathes that will allow you to turn on the outboard without any effort. Example would be the Grizzly G0694 (slight short on the the swing bed)

Powermatic 7500, Grizzly 3000. I think we know which one most people will buy.

Doesn't look like they invented anything just took the Australian Stubby and put it on a longer bed. Painted it gold and and added a vacuum chuck.

Just my thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Boyd View Post
    I would have to think the break even point is pretty high for that price and they may never recoup the investment. I think they priced themselves out of the market. The only features that may set itself apart say from the Oneway 2436 is a longer bed and the vacuum system on the chuck. I don't see the purpose of moving the headstock around so you can turn on the outboard. Plenty of other lathes that will allow you to turn on the outboard without any effort. Example would be the Grizzly G0694 (slight short on the the swing bed)

Powermatic 7500, Grizzly 3000. I think we know which one most people will buy.

Doesn't look like they invented anything just took the Australian Stubby and put it on a longer bed. Painted it gold and and added a vacuum chuck.

Just my thoughts
    OK. I thought you were saying the design was going backwards...

In the end this one has me a little bemused, I never thought the 3520b would gain the popularity it has now at the price BUT it didn't infringe on the big boys. I think it will be up to the 3520b guys, do they love their lathe enough to move up in the PM family OR do they really lust after Oneway/Robust/Stubby et al?

BTW if my numbers are right the b version of the 4224 is $2100 more than the "a" version.

OK. I thought you were saying the design was going backwards...

In the end this one has me a little bemused, I never thought the 3520b would gain the popularity it has now at the price BUT it didn't infringe on the big boys. I think it will be up to the 3520b guys, do they love their lathe enough to move up in the PM family OR do they really lust after Oneway/Robust/Stubby et al?
    As a 3520A owner, I can safely say, I'd move up to a Robust but not any of the others. I saw the 4224 at the Symposium this weekend, aside from the really nice large handwheel on the tail stock (~twice the size of my 'A' and more comfortable), the rest was just nice to have. I didn't even realize I was looking at the new 'big' model, I originally thought it was the 3520B. 4" of swing in difference from my old lathe didn't even register. The indexer looked nice, but I bought a plastic indexer for $20 at the show so I'm all set.

Most turners who have a 3520 got it because the price point made sense in comparison to the other lathes in the same size. I rarely come across a 20" block of wood, so the need for this much size is rarely called for and I can turn off the end when I need more clearance.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

When I got my 3520b, it was less than half the price of the large Robust. Given the price of the 4224b, I'd go with the Robust now. 2nd choice would be the big Oneway.

That said, I do really like using my 3520b.
    Where did I put that tape measure...