Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic new machine coming?

Powermatic new machine coming?

There is a countdown timer for something big coming on the PM website http://www.powermatic.com/

About 3 weeks left, now it may just be another one of their sales but if you remember news from AWFS last year was they would bring out 3 marquee tools this year on the order of the PM1800 BS in their quest to distinguish themselves from "the me to" importers. Outside of Oliver they probably have the least "recognizable" catalog. It will be interesting to see if it is a tool announcement it would seem their biggest holes in their catalog would be a cyclone or a combo machine, maybe even retooling their "hobby" (non-industrial) planers or jointers.

We shall see in 22 days 13 hours and change.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Maybe they are going to fix the drill press?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Maybe they are going to fix the drill press?
    In my view the only issue with the PM2800 is QC some are purrrfect and others are runout/vibration dogs. If would pick a perfect one over the Delta but admittedly I have always had a softspot for PM and little for Delta. That all said if I was ordering one today I would pick the Delta since it has better QC but alas I have concerns about Delta on the post sale side these days...

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Maybe they are going to start making all their products here in the USA again. Yeah wishful thinking!!! I worked for them for 15 years here in McMinnville, TN.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Matheny View Post
    Maybe they are going to start making all their products here in the USA again. Yeah wishful thinking!!! I worked for them for 15 years here in McMinnville, TN.

Sid
    Probably the only thing they could be even close to cost effective on would be a PM66 TS copy, just look at the General machines. The PM141 (14" bandsaw) was over 2,000 in 1989 and the PM90 (12" swing spindle lathe) was near 3,500 at the end of its run. Even if they could build 'em here and get the volume to suceed it wouldn't be from selling stuff to Creekers and even then would probably have to be clones of old machines, as cool as the PM1800 bandsaw is they can't even match the European prices producing them in Asia. Sad as it is.

New 14" bandsaw from what I understand. Though I thought they were a bit further out.

Chris

Chris, that is interesting. The 14" saw is a place where they are using a generic form factor, a steel framed saw would be interesting.

"Something big is coming" A big price increase?

Be interesting to see what they have in the works.

With some woodworkers not shy dropping some serious $$$ on Italian bandsaws, Is there a reason the Powermatic PM1800 bandsaw does not get more press. Never used one but looks impressive.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 05-17-2012 at 2:53 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

They are making an announcement at the AAW symposium in San Jose so I expect a new/significantly reworked lathe to be in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Strauss View Post
    They are making an announcement at the AAW symposium in San Jose so I expect a new/significantly reworked lathe to be in the works.
    Certainly makes sense timing wise. I must admit I al a little surprised since they seem to be the highest ragraded of the Asian machines already, not knowing a lot about the market I would guess it is the 4224 they are redoing, it is BIG.

Well I know several folks that are still connected with Powermatic and their lips are sealed! Not even a good hint.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Maybe this is wishful thinking on my part, but... Maybe a saw with their own proprietary braking system. That would be cool and I'd probably buy one.

Maybe symantics but it says " Something" and not "Somethings" to imply just one new thing. Looks like the bed of a lathe. So if they follow suite with what they did with the PM1800 bandsaw and super sizes it, it may be something to compete with a oneway/robust. Just my 2 pince.

1. Sliding Table Saw
    2. Combination jointer / planer
    3. A very big lathe

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    There is a countdown timer for something big coming on the PM website....
    Oooh-ooh. Perhaps an exciting third color option?

I've got a dollar says the "big" announcement is a big nothing. Something someone else is already doing as well for less.