Thread: Auger bit files?

Auger bit files?

I inherited what was left of my great-grandfather's tools, which included a brace and bits, but no bit file. I've been trolling old hardware stores as I have the opportunity looking for a cache of forgotten Nicholson auger bit files, but no soap so far. Does anyone have a recommendation? Has anyone used the Indian made files that Lie-Nielson is selling?

Thanks,
    Charles
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

You can see if tools for working wood has any remaining stock, they also carried the nicholson file.

I don't know who is making them in india, but if it's grobet, then their non-swiss files are actually pretty good.

If LN says that the file they have is good, then they probably are fine, too. Auger bits aren't that hard so far as I can tell, and you don't want to remove gobs from them when you sharpen so an acceptable file is maybe just as good as a fantastic one.

You may also want some sort of a safe-edge needle file for the smaller sizes - it can be tough to get in there with the auger bit file, and if you aren't careful, you can inadvertently file the screw tip, which is a bummer - it doesn't take much to keep it from pulling into the work.

Josh,
    The auger files have two different ends. One has two safe faces; the other has two safe edges. My understanding is that the end with the safe faces (meaning that the cutting surface is on the edges) is designed to file the smaller size bits.
    auger_bit_file.jpg

Lee Valley and TheBestThings both used to sell Nicholson auger bit files, but LV says the product is no longer available and TBT doesn't even list them. I see on the LN website they note that Nicholson stopped making them. The file they are offering looks very similar to the Nicholson I have, and costs about the same.

Nicholson leaves us nearly high and dry yet again. Seems to be a theme.

Even if the indian files disappear, there are plenty of machinist files that could be modified to work as an auger bit file (warding files, etc). Not something that needs to be done if acceptable files can still be had, even if they aren't as good as the old us-made nicholson files were.

When you do obtain them, get some extras, this is one of the most convenient files in existence.

A good Japanese Saw File is also a must have for sharpening auger bits. When you can't find a good file, contact Boggs. If they don't stock a good one, they will know who stocks a good one.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bailey View Post
    Josh,
    The auger files have two different ends. One has two safe faces; the other has two safe edges. My understanding is that the end with the safe faces (meaning that the cutting surface is on the edges) is designed to file the smaller size bits.
    auger_bit_file.jpg
    Oh, well aware of that - but when you get to the 1/4" and 3/8", it's the edge on the other side that gets to be the problem sometimes - really just for filling the inside of the spurs when they need a touch up - the other side get's dangerously close to the screw. I've a needle file with three safe edges - with the smaller bits, it's just a little easier to navigate safely. On some of my 1/4", I'm not even sure I can fit an auger file in there to sharpen the edges however you try.
    Last edited by Jessica Pierce-LaRose; 05-15-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Yes, I bought a couple of the India made files from LN and as far as I can tell they work fine. I picked up a set of Jennings pattern bits as well as a set of Irwin's and used the files on those. How well they stand up over time is another question.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wiggins View Post
    I inherited what was left of my great-grandfather's tools, which included a brace and bits, but no bit file. I've been trolling old hardware stores as I have the opportunity looking for a cache of forgotten Nicholson auger bit files, but no soap so far. Does anyone have a recommendation? Has anyone used the Indian made files that Lie-Nielson is selling?

Thanks,
    Charles

I also have one of the LN files, and it seems fine, but I don't know how long it is going to last. Next time I am ordering something from LN, I intend to pick up a couple more just to have around.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    You may also want some sort of a safe-edge needle file for the smaller sizes - it can be tough to get in there with the auger bit file, and if you aren't careful, you can inadvertently file the screw tip, which is a bummer - it doesn't take much to keep it from pulling into the work.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll keep and eye out for that.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I also bought from LN and the file they supplied works fine. Probably a good idea to pick up a few extra. This type of file is very handy and also very necessary.

I have a LN file and it has been OK. The last 1/8 inch of the tip is clear and I would prefer that the filing went all the way to the end. Amazon has one available and I ordered one yesterday. Do a search for "Mag Bit 303 auger file" $13.38 with Prime.

What's the teeth pattern? Why can't a machine shop grind off the offending faces/edges from a file that has the right shape and then reharden?