Thread: Found a great source for threaded Knobs for jigs, etc.

Found a great source for threaded Knobs for jigs, etc.

Looking back, this ranks as a "duh", but I never thought of them until this morning - McMaster-Carr. Big selection of styles, sizes, etc. Prices maybe half of what I had paid from a commonly-used WW store for my tee-track jigs.

The cheesy-standard-grade plastic Delta lock lever on my tenon jig failed [as those plastic spring-loaded 2-part lock levers always do, on every machine or tool that has them....DP quill lock comes to mind] Part costs about $12 + shipping from the usual replacement parts sources. And, that part is obsolete and has been replaced by a .....wait for it........threaded knob. Well golly-gee-willikers - wonder why they did that?

Metric, of course. Yesterday got an Ace Hdwre wing nut to replace it. Should be OK, but wanted something easier on the fingers to tighten and loosen, so went rummaging around McMaster-Carr. Found the threaded knobs selection. Bingo....a threaded through-knob will be a perfect replacement, and has a wide enough base that I won't need the washer. And was less than half the $12 price.

PSA: Anyone with this tenoning jig - which also masquerades as all the other brands in that corporate family - the stud is M8 x 1.25 pitch.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-18-2012 at 6:59 PM.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Kent,

That's a good tip. I needed a couple metric knobs, both 6 and 8mm IIRC, for my mortiser to replace regular adjustment bolts (got tired of always having to reach for a wrench to adjust the thing). I found a decent selection at a Sears Hardware Store - both internal and external threads. They weren't exactly cheap, though, I think about $4-$5.

Bill

McMaster is GREAT for that stuff. They have knobs from inexpensive plastic (often in multiple colors) to very nice brass and stainless ones. They are a boon when rehabbing old machines if one isn't a purist.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Van.........is that the next clue?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    McMaster is GREAT for that stuff. They have knobs from inexpensive plastic (often in multiple colors) to very nice brass and stainless ones. They are a boon when rehabbing old machines if one isn't a purist.
    And if one is a purist, it’s probably a knob made by Dimco- Gray they’d be looking for. Dimco has been around since 1924 and has been a supplier to most of the major manufacturers prior to offshoring of manufactured goods.

http://dimcogray.com/

I believe Reid Supply also sells Dimco products as well as other refurbishment items.
    http://www.reidsupply.com/products/k...s-hand-wheels/

- Beachside Hank

Do not use remaining fingers as push sticks.

Lee Valley also has those knob-around $3