Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do I always put off cleaning my table saw blade?

Why do I always put off cleaning my table saw blade?

It only takes 5 minutes to do, but I always wait until I can't bare it any longer. Last night I was cutting a bunch of plywood for some shop cabinets and decided I couldn't stand the tear out I was seeing. So when I was switching from dado to combination blade took the time to spray it down and brush away the pitch and resin. The not so surprising result was perfect cuts with no tear out. I really have to stop doing this to myself!

Thinking about it today I realized I do the same thing with sharpening chisels and plane blades. I've gotten into the habit of sharpening them after every project so they're ready to go, but in the middle of a project I'm so reluctant to stop and sharpen even though it'll end up saving me time.

I'm sure there are more things I shouldn't put off as well. But that's my list for now

I keep meaning to make myself a couple of signs that simply say "Don't be lazy", but then I am too lazy...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I keep meaning to make myself a couple of signs that simply say "Don't be lazy", but then I am too lazy...
    LOL. Can I buy one since I'm too lazy to make my own?

For Sale: Sign that reads "Don't be la" on unfinished plywood with some tear out along the edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Houseal View Post
    ...Why do I always put off cleaning my table saw blade?...
    So it'll go dull faster and you can buy a new one!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

For Sale: Sign that reads "Don't be la" on unfinished plywood with some tear out along the edges.
    That's a good one
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    So it'll go dull faster and you can buy a new one!
    Hahaha....that sounds like something I'd do but this is a pretty good blade from Ridge Carbide. Maybe I'm just looking forward to my first sharpening.

My wife was using my lousy crapsman circular saw once and she somehow got the cord in the way. She asked what's wrong with this and I picked up the other end of the cord. She uttered some sort of expletive and an apology. I shouted "New tool!" and threw it in the trash can.

I could have put a new cord on it, but any excuse to get something better lol

I'd a pretty similar experience a few years ago too Dave. I'd no idea it mattered so much. Actually amazing how much difference cleaning can make....

ian

I will state what I am sure is obvious to most. Pitch build up = heat, heat is bad for tooling, so letting a blade go without cleaning it means it dulls faster, so more money for sharpening and more often replacement of the tooling. This money requires one work more to make the money so it is not only false economy but false laziness. Ergo more cleaning means more time for lazy.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Hahaha....that sounds like something I'd do but this is a pretty good blade from Ridge Carbide....
    That blade's definitely a keeper (errr, I mean "keeper cleaner")!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Dave,

What are you using for blade cleaner? I've got several sample packs I use but it's time to commit to actually buying some!

Thanks!

Haha....that's the ticket, just gotta think it through a little. I can't believe I've been doing lazy all wrong :-)

Remember that game rock paper scissors? Well this is basically the same game, but in my case cheap beats lazy, and I'm plenty of both. I got a big bottle of trend blade cleaner, all my tooling gets a regular bath since I got that first bill for resharpening. Now if they had a " sharp chisel spray" I d buy that in a gallon jug so I could have enough to share, seems most everybody needs a bit of that!

I use Boeshield Bit and blade along with a brass wire brush. Works pretty well from what I can tell though I've never used anything else to compare it with.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Now if they had a " sharp chisel spray" I d buy that in a gallon jug so I could have enough to share, seems most everybody needs a bit of that!
    I always wondered why I like rasps so much, one of the few things you can put in a liquid and sleep while it sharpens!