Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new plane from Lie-Nielsen

new plane from Lie-Nielsen

Who's going to order one? I am tempted but I don't know what I would use it for.

101_in_hand_web.jpg

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=1-101

What? No toothed cutter offered?

I really like the looks of it if nothing else. I think I'd find a few uses for it in my shop but prob not to justify the $100 expense right now. I do like the depth adjustment a little better than the little Victor that LV offers. Although they are a bit different in style, bevel up vs. bevel down.

Like Tony, I like it and could find some good uses for it. I really like that it has the shape and grip of a block plane. But I already have a little vic, and while this looks a bit nicer to use, its not enough nicer for me to spend $95 on it. Not saying it isn't worth it, I just wouldn't be able to justify the expense.

With no curved sole,I wonder why it is a violin maker's plane? Not that it isn't a nice addition to their line. I'd regard it as more like a violin bow maker's plane,except it is wider than they usually are. The little steel plane that Marcus and Ed used on the marquetry tool box they showed on the Woodwright's shop is a plane I made,and it is a bow maker's plane. Straight sides and bottom,1/2" wide blade,about 2 1/2" long.

I asked Lie-Nielsen and they said that a curved-sole version is in the works.

A plane that size is more likely good for carving arch top guitars,with the curved sole. Maybe cellos and viola da gambas.

I use little finger planes a lot in shaping 1/8" plywood for patterns. I have two, one set course and one set fine, because they are a pain to adjust. I'm excited about this one. My wife will be driving right by LN next week..... I wonder?

The curved sole was the first thing I thought of, too.

I find it interesting that they don't give the blade width and all three pictures have shavings covering the area around the mouth.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

it looks nice, but I just did this:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...se-thumb-plane

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ritter View Post
    I use little finger planes a lot in shaping 1/8" plywood for patterns. I have two, one set course and one set fine, because they are a pain to adjust. I'm excited about this one. My wife will be driving right by LN next week..... I wonder?
    Hey Jim,

Just curious where you're located because you said your wife will be driving by LN. I am a Maine local over in the Bar Harbor area. LN certainly has a bunch of my money in their bank due to being somewhat close by.

put it on your keychain,,,,,,
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Neeley View Post
    I find it interesting that they don't give the blade width and all three pictures have shavings covering the area around the mouth.

Jim
    Plane.jpg The blade is 7/8" wide
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Could have sworn that last paragraph wasn't there when I was looking at the page this morning - I remember wondering what exactly the blade width was as well, and don't remember seeing anything about the bedding angle.