Thread: Saved A little one [a work in progress]

Saved A little one [a work in progress]

This little guy is a cherry box I started several months ago..........hollowed out the inside with a forstner bit, but my wife wanted it to be deeper. I also had problems holding this one on the lathe to try to do some grooves on the outside to give it a little embellishment. Could not get it to run true so the grooves were deep in spots and almost non-existant in others due to the wobble.

Been chewing on how to fix it for a few days..........I had just set this one aside and almost forgotten about it, but with this series I am doing, I decided to try and do something to remedy the issues with it and make a save from the burn pile.

Got it mounted back on the lathe this morning with pin jaws in expansion mode and returned the outside and deepened the whole thing with the forstner bit again..........which left a rough inside........now I still have to go back and mount it again and take care of that and the top where the jam chuck I used on the live center burned the very top.........have to sand that down and refinish this one again. I did however get some decent grooves in the thing to put a burn wire on...........

Just thought I would show you guys a save.........this one is 1.75 inches wide and 3.50 inches tall...and I put the opening of the lid at the center point on purpose.........just to see how it would look.........my better half likes it so that is what counts.

IMGP3388.JPGIMGP3389.jpgIMGP3390.JPGIMGP3391.JPG
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Got it finished........the tip of the top had to be cut down just a tad to get the burn mark off where it spun against the jam chuck on the live center on the tailstock. I don't think I will invest any more effort in this little guy, but I think it is suitable to take to the demo with the others.

IMGP3394.JPG

Cool little box Roger. Turned out nicely.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice save and a cool little box Roger!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Roger - wish I could be there for your demo! Looks like you will have plenty of good samples to pass around.

Another nice one Roger! You tired of turning boxes yet??
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Another nice one Roger! You tired of turning boxes yet??
    The question is........are you tired of seeing them yet? No, I have a couple more I think I am going to do with a different style and wood if I can come up with some.........maybe some maple or even mahogany......I think I will do at least one of a flatter style with some type embellishment on the lid with a texturing tool.

You are becoming quite proficient with these small lidded boxes. They are getting better with each one. I very much like the simplicity of this one.
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    You are becoming quite proficient with these small lidded boxes. They are getting better with each one. I very much like the simplicity of this one.
    Thanks DD!