Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simplicity #3

Simplicity #3

After having kind of blown #2, I went back for another crack at it. After the first one, I had a thought that it might be easier with a form that was not so tall and larger in diameter. Just in case anyone wants to know, it wasn't! Blending these curves into a simple flowing line is far more of a challenge that I ever thought it would be. Even when you think it's perfect, another look and you see where it could be sweetened up a bit more. This one was on and off the lathe at least a dozen times. After the stem got thinned down, the torque from the lightest cut or even just from sanding was threatening to break it and I ended up "reverse chucking" it using "cole" jaws (AKA "knuckle busters"). I left the tenon for the collet chuck on the bottom and I flipped it around several times trying to get the curve just right. Still can't tell if I nailed it or not because my eyes start crossing every time I look at it...

simplicity_3_b.jpg
    David DeCristoforo

Great piece David! I do believe youv'e got it though I can see what you mean about feeling crosseyed. The top curve is a little difficult to tell without a perfect profile view.

Now that's a beauty DD!!! I love the form and the colors you've achieved (I assume you've got some dye's in the scheme).

Just Beautiful!!

4. From the pics, it sure looks like you nailed it David. Those curves sweep without any flat spots or bumps...........I can see why one might go cross-eyed with that one. Great fade on the color and pretty finish............simple is not always easy, as you can attest.............

This is a fine form.........a credit to your skill and your collection of finely crafted art pieces........congratulations again, DD!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I hate it when the torque just twists things off, don't you?

Nice work... I did tell you though, that these simple things sometimes are the hardest... Those curves have to be perfect.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

It looks to me like you nailed it, the curve is sweet! The colors look great too.

Now this one is more to my liking! The last just didn't do much for me but this seems to just fit!!

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Beautiful piece DD. Really like the form and color.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

From where I sit it looks like a good curve....I always look at a form upsidedown to confirm whether or not the form is what I thought it was. Have you tried that?

"...look at a form upsidedown...Have you tried that?"

I did that Wally... but I can't seem to stand on my head for very long anymore. I think that might have been why my head started hurting. So I tried it lying sideways on the floor but then the form wouldn't sit level.
    David DeCristoforo

Very nice and truly a challenge to do right. I like it. i And it would be great to see in person.
    C&C WELCOME

Very cool! Love the colors!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I really like the curve but it looks awful frail.
    Fred

Having never tried one of these, I dare comment! This one is much better than the last, and the curves seem to meld well. I assume there will be another, and I wonder how it would do with a little less diameter on the top flare? And, as Baxter noted, it is difficult to tell without a straight on profile shot, but I assume you have the point of smallest diameter at the 1/3 mark.

Great color and the burl looks to be very nice! What are the dimensions?

Double D, I think you got this one, I flows beautifully, and what a spectacular job on the color. Super nice piece, it sounds like it might have come from the same tree as the one I am working on... it is refusing to cooperate and is on it's 5th finish, and tweaking. I like where you are going with these, I too am hoping to see a another one!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein