Thread: I need advise from the experts on which turning tools to keep

I need advise from the experts on which turning tools to keep

I have two sets of turning tools with a similar makeup within each set, gouges, parting tools, skews, etc. I really don't know which set is of higher quality, preferred among turners, or a better set in general.

First, the Robert Sorby set, somewhat older with long uniform handles. The second set is Henry Taylor high speed steelP1010002c.jpgP1010003c.jpg I don't think the Sorby tools are high speed steel but the Henry Taylor tools are. As you can see, the Taylor chisels are of different length handles though I believe they are a matching set.

My turning abilities are intermediate and I don't turn many bowls or hollow vessels. Mostly handles, knobs, pens, and small decorative items.

Any help is appreciated, I will only keep one of these sets and will be selling the other.

Jeff

2. The Henry Taylor set looks to have a heavier tang on them.........for that reason alone, I would keep that set. The Sorby set looks like a cheaper set that I have not seen before.........most Sorby tools are pretty good quality, but these have flat tangs that fit into the handles...........makes me a bit skiddish for heavy cuts!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

If you know the Sorby tools are high carbon steel, and the Henry Taylor tools are HSS, I'd keep the Henry Taylor set. If they are both HSS, I'd use both and figure out which ones I liked better. Just my $.02
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

I would definitely keep the Taylors if they are HSS. Better steel and they'll hold an edge longer.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

No contest! H Taylor high speed steel are the keepers. Those Sorby carbon steel tools are quite old. With those handles they are pre-1980. When the bowl gouge came on the market around 1979 or 80, Sorby made some in carbon steel but soon discontinued them.

I suggest that you keep some of the Sorby tools. The flat scrapers can be re-shaped for special needs tools. I have a set of Greenlee Carbon steel tools that I bought in the 50's. I use several of them as small special use scrapers. They don't hold an edge for very long but they work for their intended use.

Respect your Elders
    Last edited by Wally Dickerman; 05-19-2012 at 12:06 AM.

I'm not an expert ... but I would keep the Taylors for the same reason the others have mentioned... HSS.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

If it were me I would keep both so I could have different grinds on similar tools. Just MHO.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

If you are set on selling one, keep the Taylors. If you don't need to sell then by all means keep both and use the Sorbys as as scrapers and/or bench chisels.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Since the Sorbys are most likely carbon steel I doubt they will find much of a market for selling. As Wally said, they are an old style handle, and include a continental gouge seldom seen these days. A few like that gouge can be users, so I would keep them for your ever growing tool collection! And Wally, my first set of tools were also Greenlees!

The Henry Taylor tools are the better quality tools. But, as Wally and Jamie have pointed out, the Sorby tools are not going to sell for enough to allow you to retire and concentrate on your turning. I have this exact same set of tools and most of them have been "repurposed". The steel is mild enough to allow reshaping with a belt sander or any grinding wheel. You might be better off to keep them against the day you need a "special" shape...
    David DeCristoforo

Blog Entries
    I'm all about keeping tools. That wqy I could have a sharp tool ready and waiting in the wings.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Thanks guys, just what I was looking for. I'll keep the Henry Taylors and If I can find the room, the Sorby's as well.

I appreciate the advice.

Jeff