Thread: Setting up to spray solvent-based laquer - need affordable explosion proof fan

Setting up to spray solvent-based laquer - need affordable explosion proof fan

I'm setting up a spray booth to handle solvent based laquers and need to locate a reasonably priced explosion proof exhaust fan. The fans I've looked at thus far are $500 and up. Could anyone point me to a retailer that sells a sub-$300 explosion proof exhaust fan, preferably minimum 3,000CFM?
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I bought a 20" Canarm explosion proof fan, but it's clearly more money. Feels like it could power an air boat.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Your best bet if you have time is to look for used fans. The new stuff is pretty steep!

good luck,
    JeffD

Spray booths go really cheap at auctions

This is why I spray outside. How can a fan possibly be so expensive?? Fortunately I have been able to get a pretty good laquer fininsh even in the winter butI sure would like to spray inside. Hope you find something.

I think your best bet is to buy used. Look for a fan with an explosion proof motor or a way to mount a belt drive motor in a non-hazardous location. For example, locate the fan outside the spray booth, and use a belt drive motor mounded external to the axial fan.

Another note, fans are often marketed as "explosion proof", but a fan cannot be an explosion proof device. It has an opening at both ends. If you are buying used, you will find commercial/industrial fans with an explosion proof motor and an AMCA spark resistance rating of A, B, or C.

Mike

Tubeaxial fans are commonly used on real spray booths. They mount the motor outside the airstream. I see them for sale on Craigslist from time to time.

Or you could just switch to WB, like you will have to sooner or later anyway--especially given your location!

The water based lacquers are pretty good these days. You might consider them unless you're just dead set on solvent based lacquer.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Scott,

I picked my true explosionproof fan up on Craigs List last winter for $100 last winter. I've made the habit of checking the tools section of my local CL a couple of times a day for the last few years and have come across some *exceptional* buys.. I don't buy often (maybe 4 or 5 times in the last year) but I got four Jet AFS-1000B room air filters for a *total* of $300 ($75 each) although I had to buy all four. Two calls to two woodworking buddies and I ended up with two for $150 total in a matter of minutes (hey, I could easily have sold them at a mark-up and gotten mine at or near free, but that's not my style). Then again, there's the $100 DC-1100 Dust collector, but that's another story.

I never used to be the one who got the good deals but ever since I started tucking a couple hundred in tool "mad money" away in my wallet and forgetting about it until a deal came along, deals started coming along!!
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!