Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shavings containment around your lathe

Shavings containment around your lathe

I would like to hang something around my lathe area to help keep the shavings contained in that area and stop them from getting EVERYWHERE else. I have read that some have hung shower curtains and such from the ceiling. What do you guys use and can you show some photos so that I can get an idea of how to hang a track from the ceiling.

Thanks, Jack.
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

Jack my solution was low tech. I screwed 2 lag type eye bolts with ~ 1" eye into the ceiling joists slightly less than 10' apart so I could hang a 10' section of 1/2" conduit from them. I bought some cheap shower curtain rings and 2 shower curtains then slipped them onto the conduit. The conduit ends slide into the eye bolts. I secured one end of the conduit so it wouldn't pull out when moving the curtain open or closed.

I have wanted to do something like that to Jack. I have wondered about getting a hold of one of those curtain that they have in ER's or outpatient surgical offices. I know that would have to get the track too and it would probably be expensive if I could not find used ones but that would be sweet, IMO.

+1 for Bill's solution. I have hung my conduit, but still haven't hung the curtain. To be honest, a broom is just as effective for me. The real culprit is my feet tracking the curlies and dust outside of the area. I don't think a curtain will help me here.

I still want to get around to hanging a curtain, but now only because my air cleaner is above my lathe, and curtaining off the area might help direct airflow for the dust.

My buddy has two pieces of stiff copper wiring hanging from the ceiling to hold his clear plastic shower curtain liner (I'm sure an old coat hanger would work fine as well). You loop the one end over the far wire and the other stays on the first loop of wire. You don't have t have a pole if you place the wires at the right distances (not at full length of the curtain but long enough to hold it without too much sagging).

It is also good at slowing things down when a turning decides to activate its self-destruct sequence.
    Last edited by Dick Strauss; 05-21-2012 at 9:59 AM.

One of the advantages of having a basement shop is the low ceilings - at least at my height it works well. Anyway - I have some canvas drop cloths that I thumb-tacked to the ceiling. Here is an old thread that shows the curtains: Canvas Curtains
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Jack,
    I use the shower curtains. They have saved endless hours of cleanup.

DSC07352.JPG
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

Blog Entries
    My containment method is pretty hitec.....I keep the door closed. LMAO
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

My garage ceiling is 9 feet. hope they make long shower curtains. I looked at the hopsital cubical curtains and that is an expensive option unless you know of a place that is renovating. I like the track idea but not enough to pay what they are asking on the internet.
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

Jack, between the lights, dust collection lines and 10 ft ceilings, I couldnt go with a rod or track attached to the ceiling. I also wanted something cheap(stuff I already had), easy, and movable if I decided I wanted the lathe somewhere else in the shop at some point. Since my lathe is at one end of my shop with the headstock against the wall, I stretched a wire across the shop about 9' out from the end wall and tightened it with a turnbuckle. The curtain can be slid all the way to one side or across the shop to cover the end of the lathe.
    Turnbuckle.jpg

I have another wire attached to the end wall that comes out and attaches to the cross wire. I can pull that curtain out from the end wall to meet the other or leave a small opening(to get to the grinder).

Shower Curtains.jpg
    I had a similar curtain behind the lathe until recently. I wanted a solid white background and a place to mount some lights so changed to a 3' hollow core door on hinges. The hinge side is attached to some wall cabinets. I added a scrap of 1/4" luan to get my 4 ' swinging wall which allows access for cleanup or turning from the backside of the lathe. It works ok for now.
    Swinging wall.jpg
    I am sure you will find something that works for your situation

Do those curtains tend to make it more hot?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Well, I have my small delta 460 on a bench that sits kinda towards the middle of the garage in the one car stall. Looking at the ceiling I should be able to go all the way around if I take down one of the garage door openers which has been discontected on that side of the garage anyway. I was thinking of hanging some rods fromt the ceiling and then attatching the curtains. Just wondering if I should us pvc, electrical pipe or actual shower rods?
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

My setup is like Bill's. A couple of hooks in the ceiling hold a length of conduit. Add a cheap curtain and hooks and you are set. It works great, especially with really green wood that is throwing water everywhere. I have one in front and another behind the lathe.

I posted this thread last night about my shower curtain booth. Amazon.com has a big selection of oversize shower curtains in heavy duty vinyl and also cloth. I bought a 7'Hx6'W in clear and a 7'Hx6'W with clear top and frosted lower just for comparison. The heavy clear vinyl would be my choice in doing it again. I also recommend at least 3/4" EMT thin wall conduit just for a little more strength and rings slide better.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...oth&highlight=

Now I am wondering like Jim about how it does in hot weather. I like getting all the air I can.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN