Thread: Anchorseal - A good shop tip

Anchorseal - A good shop tip

The two turning clubs I belong to are approx. 40 miles apart where they meet. We share expenses where possible and buy in bulk for Anchorseal, abrasives and CA glue. That leads me to an unfortunate event. Because we get the Anchorseal in 55 gal drums [sometimes 5 gal. buckets] we generally use gallon size milk containers or bleach containers to put the stuff in,

Well, over the weekend, I lost about 2/3rds gallon of Anchorseal.........somehow the milk jug just developed a hole in the bottom edge and it just went out all over my floor and ran underneath my big bandsaw. What I found was this .......this is the tip:

If you will take sawdust and curlees from you dust collector, and sprinkle generously over the Anchorseal, and stir it with the end of a board or something you don't mind throwing away or cleaning, then the sawdust will wick up that stuff and you can get it off your shop floor.

This stuff is too expensive to waste! At least I did not pay full retail..........our club sells it at $10 per gallon to its members. I hope no one else has a situation like this, but this clean up tip will work if it does ever happen to you!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 05-21-2012 at 11:19 AM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Been there, done that. Kitty litter (oil dry) also works.

Rodger I have done the same thing. I switched to coffee containers with the wide lid-easier to dip a brush in and the same container is now on its fourth year. As an aside, I still am using the same brush. When I'm done sealing, I slip the brush into a plastic bag and roll it tight. It has stayed soft a pliable.

I just pour off some Anchorseal into a vegetable can. I've used the same brush and can for several years -- just rest the brush on the top of the can when I'm done. The brush hardens a bit between uses, but I've found if I crush the bristles downward on a hard surface the next time (even months later), then dip it into fresh Anchorseal, the brush softens up within a few brush strokes. Doesn't seem to be any need to wrap the brush up.

Roger been there. Kitty litter works great. I do like Tom and use coffee containers because of the wide mouth.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Sorry to hear about losing your anchorseal!!

I can get anchorseal through our turning club also - but I went to the local Ace Hardware first and picked up a new/empty one gallon metal paint can. Works great and NO leaks!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

If you pack those shavings into a cupcake tin, you can make a little 'candle' that's a great fireplace fire starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Sorry to hear about losing your anchorseal!!

I can get anchorseal through our turning club also - but I went to the local Ace Hardware first and picked up a new/empty one gallon metal paint can. Works great and NO leaks!
    Funny you should say that Steve........I have one of those new empty paint cans with a lid.......I have about 3 -1/2 gallons of Anchorseal on hand..........never had a problem before with any of the plastic jugs..........I think this particular jug just had a weak place in it at the bottom edge.........I like clorox bottles better........they are thicker and never have leaked. My paint can will have to get a baptism before long. I just took the 1/3 that was left in the leaky container and put it with another partially empty one..........shook it up well, and it should be good to go.

I did not have any kitty litter on hand, Bernie.........so I just improvised with the sawdust.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I store the anchorseal that I get from the club in those 4 gal water containers that you get from SAM's Club. The water is in no deposit plastic bottles and cost about $5. Thirty-two dollars worth of anchorseal from the club fills one container and last a long time.

So sorry to hear about your loss ;-) We have a similar situation with our clubs in Tampa Bay. Some of us have found that the large coffee containers with screw lids are better than milk/water jugs because (1) they have thicker plastic walls and (2) the wide mouths make it easy to use with brushes. Hope this tip helps someone not lose their Anchorseal in the future.
    Allen

I was told the plastic that the water and milk jugs are made from isn't good for storing Anchor Seal wrong type plastic. I use Clorox or Tide bottles,I
    like the coffee container idea.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

+1 on gallon paint can/mine was from buffalo, shipped to me, i just buy extra mix at symposiums in plastic jugs and add to the gallon paint can, keep the brush in a sandwich bag