Thread: How would you use Corel Draw to produce vectors to cut out text?

How would you use Corel Draw to produce vectors to cut out text?

I know this has to be a newbie question but I'm struggling with it. If I wanted to cut out a stencil in something like 1/8" plywood, how would I produce the necessary vectors to get the laser to cut them out? I know I'm going to feel stupid when someone points out the button to use but so far, I'm stumped. I use Corel X4 if that helps or hurts.

John
    Epilog Legend 24TT
    3 Wood Lathes (mini, midi and 42" Grizzly)
    7x12 Metal Lathe
    Screwdrivers, Hatchet and one precisely calibrated 10 lb Sledge Hammer

With True Type fonts, just click on the 'no fill' (the box with the X just above black on the palette) then go the pen tool and add a hairline. That will cut out your letters. Remember that some letters centers will fall out (like 'O') -- check out stencil fonts, there are lots out there.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

It all depends upon what text & font you are using, but for basic cuts, convert the text to curves and add a hairline to the selected item. If you do a search on stencil and vector in this forum, you should find several threads on this very same topic.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

I do letters all the time out of black acrylic for businesses, a good money maker. Though I'd
    pass that on as your working with letters. Check some YouTube videos for using the shaping tools
    if you want to "weld" a base to the text so it can stand.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Belany View Post
    With True Type fonts, just click on the 'no fill' (the box with the X just above black on the palette) then go the pen tool and add a hairline. That will cut out your letters. Remember that some letters centers will fall out (like 'O') -- check out stencil fonts, there are lots out there.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    Jeff,

Thanks, that works very nicely! I also found some good stencil fonts as well. Wow, so many fonts out there!

John
    Epilog Legend 24TT
    3 Wood Lathes (mini, midi and 42" Grizzly)
    7x12 Metal Lathe
    Screwdrivers, Hatchet and one precisely calibrated 10 lb Sledge Hammer