Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Web Hosting

I used netnation for 10 years and they served me well.

http://www.netnation.com/

There are many choices and I hope you find someone that meets your needs.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    That's a story I've heard often.

I personally use Hurricane Electric which, by the way, is ranked one of one of the world's best (http://www.he.net/releases/release103.html). They haven't given me a problem in 15 years.

One thing you need to take into account is your website. Is it static HTML, PHP, Perl, ASP, Cold Fusion, etc... Is it programmed for Unix, Windows, etc... Content management system, etc...

If your website is static HTML there are no worries and you can put it anywhere. If it's dynamic, you need to do a little research.

I would try to get YOUR friend to help move it since they've done it before.

I checked out your site and it is programmed in php, database driven, uses oscommerce for the cart, and has a shared SSL certificate. It's going to take more than just uploading to another server.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Another +1 for he.net, although what I have there is insanely low volume and I don't do anything interesting with it so I can't really say much for really active sites. They do host a lot of "high volume" (cough) sites though and seem to be competent overall.

Another option might be to consider "modernizing" your site to use one of the cloud services like amazons EC2 - but that is a MAJOR rewrite and rethink and only makes sense if you have sufficient revenue to justify it or sufficient skills to do it yourself..

I have used MyHosting.com for many, many years. Totally pleased.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

As a side note, regardless where you host your site, you may want to consider registering your domain name with a different company than your hosting company.
    I realize many hosting companies off "free" domains, and that's fine, until you are confronted with an issue at your hosting service. If your company closes up shop, or you become embroiled in a dispute, or experience a lack of service or up time, your site could suffer longer than it needs to if the hosting company also has your domain registered. I have heard horror stories of successful sites, and reputations, being crippled because a website or domain was unusable/unreachable for a month or longer due to a dispute with a hosting company.

Registering your domain with a separate company will avoid any such thing from happening, as you can move to a new host at any time, and simply redirect your domain name to the new host immediately.
    You can always go back to arguing with your old host if you like, but at least your site will be up and running while you do. Just something to think about.........
    a Goal... Without a Plan.... Is Just a WISH

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McCloskey View Post
    As a side note, regardless where you host your site, you may want to consider registering your domain name with a different company than your hosting company.
    I realize many hosting companies off "free" domains, and that's fine, until you are confronted with an issue at your hosting service. If your company closes up shop, or you become embroiled in a dispute, or experience a lack of service or up time, your site could suffer longer than it needs to if the hosting company also has your domain registered. I have heard horror stories of successful sites, and reputations, being crippled because a website or domain was unusable/unreachable for a month or longer due to a dispute with a hosting company.

Registering your domain with a separate company will avoid any such thing from happening, as you can move to a new host at any time, and simply redirect your domain name to the new host immediately.
    You can always go back to arguing with your old host if you like, but at least your site will be up and running while you do. Just something to think about.........
    Regarding this, i suggest not going the cheap route and registering with Network Solutions. Avoiding problems with your domain name is worth the few extra dollars a year.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by James & Zelma Litzmann View Post
    I still want to switch, but I received an email yesterday morning about 10:30 that it was a false email sent out about being over out limit, this morning I receive another email telling me not to worry about the emails I received about being over the limit, that it was not true and I would not be billed extra . . . followed by another email telling me I was over the limit.

Thanks everyone for your response you have giving me places to start looking, I want to find a company that I don't have to worry about this happening.

Thanks again, hope to get it switched over soon.
    I've been with these people for a number of years.

They're price is very good and I have virtually no limits.

http://www.bluehost.com/

Another happy Yahoo user here, since 2004. I used their free Sitebuilder software for years and had no problems with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    Regarding this, i suggest not going the cheap route and registering with Network Solutions. Avoiding problems with your domain name is worth the few extra dollars a year.
    Network Solutions is a very good choice Doug, I personally use Namecheap (don't let the name fool you.. lol) As with any service, there are a few that best be stayed away from, but they are easily determined with a little research. Another handy feature of this is, you can maintain email addresses for your domain, and forward them to another address, through the registrar, without actually having hosting or a website. For instance, you register "yourcompany.com", you can then assign email addresses to that domain ("you@yourcompany.com") and have them forwarded to any email address you choose. It adds an air of professionalism to your correspondence with clients, as they are unaware of any forwarding features you are using, and it keeps your company name at the forefront, instead of gmail or yahoo's. IMO this alone makes it worth the $8 - $20 a year it costs to register your domain....
    a Goal... Without a Plan.... Is Just a WISH