Thread: Identify this wood, please

Identify this wood, please

What wood/tree is this? My guess is a type of fruit tree, maybe cherry. The wood has a sheen similar to apple when split along the grain, but the bark is different than apple. The small limbs shooting off the main trunk have a much smoother bark than the trunk. There weren't any leaves left to get pictures of.

The tree was taken down on my church's property. My only plans for part of it are to make a few pens for my pastor, his wife, and some of the older folks in the congregation who have been around since the church was founded. Pastor and his wife started the church over 30 years ago and built the building, so they may have been the ones who planted the tree - but I don't want to ask them what kind it was since this will be a surprise. This tree shaded Pastor's parking spot before it had to come down, so he walked past it every day for 30 years.

Thank you.

It is a species of cherry. Note the pronounced lenticels on the small branches. Cherry bark has these small horizontal lines, they look like dashes, on the bark. There should be an odor as well.

Thank you. I didn't notice an odor - all I smelled was chainsaw and 2 cycle exhaust. I'll have to "look" for an odor when I cut it up into smaller blanks.

Smell where the inner bark meets the solid wood, or scrape the bark off one of the small branches (that is best).

It is a redbud.

I agree with Richard that the cut secction looks like some Redbud that was given to me. It had a sour dish rag smell when turning, but pretty grain pattern. Lots of luck.

I talked to the lady at church last night who does the gardening. She said that yes, the tree was a redbud.

Thanks again.

Joshua-
    I sent you a PM about this wood.

Perfect timing. I'm about to take down a red bud in my back yard. Thanks.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Redbud has the lenticels like cherry, so that it could very well be redbud. The color of the heartwood does indicate that.