Thread: Buckeye Burl Bowl/Platter

Buckeye Burl Bowl/Platter

Hey All,
    Here is a Buckeye Burl piece I just finished yesterday, out of a Buckeye Burl Cap I bought a few weeks ago. I had many ideas on how to turn this, like double bowls, or turned with the cap up, but in the end, I decided to just turn a conventional bowl as large as the blank would accommodate. It is 14" x 13" x 1-1/2". It is finished in multiple coats of Satin Lacquer. I thought it would be best displayed on a clear plate stand. I am mixed on the outcome. As always your comments are welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ken Glass; 05-23-2012 at 5:09 PM.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

I think it came out nicely! If anything at all...I would have considered using an oil finish to help bring out more of the buckeye burl character...but then that would also impart a bit of an amber hue that you may not have desired.
    I like this...but am a sucker for buckeye burl in just about any form!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Ken, I think you did well with this one!! Lot of character to the wood and the turning.

Nice job----- I know how much of a challenge Buckeye burl can be.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

I sell more buckeye burl pens than most any other wood. I think this is way over the top Ken. It is not easy to turn, sand or finish and changes on almost every pass. Great size and if it needs a home...yu casa mi casa! It really is beautiful work. Any more pictures?
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Jim,
    Thanks. I added another picture that I had taken to the post.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Another beauty Ken. I like turning buckeye pens but haven't had much luck with the couple of blanks I had. Well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

one of my favorite burls is Buckeye..so I like it!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

That's nice! Beautiful wood but I really like how you have the bowl lifting up - out of the mass! Really cool effect!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Great piece of wood and an eyecatching bowl Ken!

That's a beauty Ken! Awesome wood and the form looks great too.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.