Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New world "nickel test"?

New world "nickel test"?

I was just sitting here thinking about the "nickel test" and how it is pretty easy to get a machine to pass, honestly most Asian made "light-weight" welded steel machines will pass it no problem straight from the factory with the "shipping bulge" in the belt. It is however pretty hard to get a machine to pass the "dime test" and was contemplating something in between or more informative but short of the serious expense of true test equipment. Then it hit me, the Iphone has all manner of motion sensors built in, thus there MUST be a vibration app... sure enough there are more than one, one I saw was free but the most interesting was stiffly priced at all of 99 cents! http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iseis...319600048?mt=8

I don't know how well it will work since I don't have an Iphone and my wife is out of town but I have to try this out!!! I mean for 99 cents why not.

So there truely is an app for that, just hope it is sensitive enough to be meaningful.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

One test I saw was two golf balls stacked one on top of the other then the machine turned on.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    One test I saw was two golf balls stacked one on top of the other then the machine turned on.
    That is an interesting one!

The thing that intrigues me about the "app" is that it charts and is downloadable, if it is sensitive and repeatable enough this would allow someone to objectively test whether say a link belt actually reduced vibration or the $30 they spent only made them think that it did.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    LOL! I would install data recorders on the re-entry vehicles and rocket motors whenever we would ship them around for testing & to the range for launch. They produced a downloadable record of g-force, vibration, temp & humidity for up to 30 days. They were test certified to NIST metrology standards and cost 22k each...
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    LOL! I would install data recorders on the re-entry vehicles and rocket motors whenever we would ship them around for testing & to the range for launch. They produced a downloadable record of g-force, vibration, temp & humidity for up to 30 days. They were test certified to NIST metrology standards and cost 22k each...
    Thats the sort of instruments I was dreaming about when that little Apple wonder came to mind. If my wife was at home I would be in the garage as we speak, moving my stored machines around to the one 240 outlet I have vibrating a little fruit.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I just downloaded the app for my iPad. I'll let you know if it works.
    Maybe I should send this info to my government friends and try to save a few taxpayer dollars!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

If you don't have an Iphone, a cup of coffee should do!

Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Look forward to hearing what you think Bruce!

Scott, I tried that but when I tried to download it onto my laptop all the magic smoke came spewing out of the computer, guess I wasn't using the correct memory port! Plus the app is cheaper than coffee, at least what my wife drinks...

I'll just be happy if guys everywhere stop acknowledging the infamous "nickel test"!

I have one shaper that has a belt so bad it almost walks off the pallet when winding down. Guess what, it still passes the nickel test At that point I realized how incredibly useless the nickel test was, and am now just annoyed even by hearing the phrase. I like the cup of coffee idea, unless the machine is in poor shape in which then you'll have the added pain of cleaning coffee off the machine

I like the i-phone idea.....will look forward to an update on this....

good luck,
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    if you don't have an iphone, a cup of coffee should do! :d

eeeeeeekk!!! Dinosaur!!!!
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    I'll just be happy if guys everywhere stop acknowledging the infamous "nickel test"!

I have one shaper that has a belt so bad it almost walks off the pallet when winding down. Guess what, it still passes the nickel test At that point I realized how incredibly useless the nickel test was, and am now just annoyed even by hearing the phrase. I like the cup of coffee idea, unless the machine is in poor shape in which then you'll have the added pain of cleaning coffee off the machine

I like the i-phone idea.....will look forward to an update on this....

good luck,
    JeffD
    That is exactly what got me to thinking, the nickel test is too easy and the dime/penny test is often too far to the other extreme.

Blog Entries
    I found a free app for my Android phone. Next time I'm in the shop, I will measure my Sawstop. The app is a seismometer so it measures on the Richter scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    I found a free app for my Android phone. Next time I'm in the shop, I will measure my Sawstop. The app is a seismometer so it measures on the Richter scale.
    There was al least one free one for the Apple as well, the .99 one looked cooler though.

Near Sandusky,Ohio.....Cedar Point ....Roller Coster Capitol Of The World
    Grizzly GO690 fifteen cent test.............that would be a nickle and a dime

JEFF

15. Here's my test-
    I walk up to the machine, look it over to see that it's in good condition first; then I flip the switch. Can I work safely and perform the operation needed with a minimum of fuss and accurately? Yes? Smooth machine. ;-)