Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curly Maple and a Finial Opinion Needed.....

Curly Maple and a Finial Opinion Needed.....

This Curly maple piece has two possible finials. One is one that I've done before and is similar to a Keith Burns finial. The other I've use a lot also. The lid has a piece of abalone shell in the bottom. Which would be your choice, one of these two or neither one?

The vessel is 8 inches in dia. The finials are ebony. I've added some beads near the rim. Finish is Daly's Tung oil. C and C welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

i actually like them both but would choose picture 2 if forced to make a choice

thats a very nice piece , Wally

Wally,

My second thought was for you to box the whole shebang up, send it to me, and I will evaluated them for a few years and send back the finial that doesn't seem to work the best.

Or, the first reaction is that I like the second finial best.

Just my opinion: I think that the onion bulb might have been a bit more pleasing if it was more bulbous and not quite as flame shaped. I think the longer flame shape works better on a form with a taller height to diameter ratio.

Killer piece of wood and form, and either finial works. I just prefer the more traditional shape.

Like Don, I struggle to choose. I like them both, but would lean towards the middle picture. Nice form and figure, and the detail on the bottom of the lid with the Abalone is a nice touch.

Well, I like the shape of #2 best, but for me, it is a bit heavy and for that reason only, I like #1. Love the form, though - fantastic wood!

6. Beautiful piece, Wally........both finials are super nice with this form.........I would go with the Burns style for effect, and the other one, which is beautiful as well seems to look a bit taller, and the exclamation point seems to make a statement on that beautifully curled wood..............like, here .........just take a look at that!!!

Nice bead detail on the collar..........you have not lost your touch, that is for sure!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I like the piece and prefer the Burns style finial. Gorgeous wood on the HF and I like what you did with it Wally!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I'm no help...they are both great!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Wally,
    I like it all 3 ways but prefer without finial.
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Sometimes I hate these "which one do you like better" questions. All three versions look great. And, as Pete said, it would still look great with no lid/finial at all. It really comes down to what you are trying to say with it because it makes a completely different statement depending on which lid you put on it. Maybe you should offer it with both. Then one could change it up every now and then...
    David DeCristoforo

It does look great with either. The raised beads are very nice, I really like those. I will vote for the "Burns style" finial mostly because it is different from the norm.

Nice form, I like the #1 finial best it lowers the eye to the opening. It has a better balance to my eye.
    Deane
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.

Since it is always good to give the customer a choice, maybe you could let them choose! I like it all three ways Wally but seem to lean toward the exclamation point. In the last picture, the finial seems to dominate the form to some extent. Although it doesn't appear to be taller or have a great deal more mass, it somehow seems to take my eye off the form a bit. Perhaps it is just because I am used to looking at skinny ones in a similar style. Very pretty either way you cut it!

I believe I would get ahold of another piece of the curly maple and turn another hollowform so you could use both finials. They're both so nice that there really isn't a choice of what would be better.

Wally that is a beautiful piece. Actually I like both finials with it but my eye keeps going to the 2nd picture.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.