Thread: Benjamin's HSS Tool Set?

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.

Benjamin's HSS Tool Set?

A student picked up a five-piece set of Benjamin's HSS M2 tools and asked me if I thought they were any good. They appear to be hard stainless that will hold an edge, but are on the smallish side. The assortment (roughing gouge, 3/8" bowl gouge, parting tool, skew, and 1" bullnose scraper) and the rather short handles makes me think this set is designed for spindle work and smaller projects.

He paid $50 at an estate auction, which is probably a good deal. Anyone else familiar with these? They're an upgrade from most beginners' sets, right?

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

BB tools a great for the price, in my opinion. I got a set when I started turning and still use many of them. The handles are a little short, but manageable and one could easily put the tools in another handle if needed. Five tools for $50 used isn't that great of a deal, but decent.

If one of my more basic tools broke, I'd probably drop $20 on a new one from BB before I splurged.

BB tools are sold through PSI: http://www.pennstateind.com/store/la...isel-sets.html As Marty mentioned, $50 is not a great deal for a used set. I wouldn't point that out to the student, however.

Noah

Might also be a pen set...good sets of pen tool are common among good tool makers.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

That was the first set I bought when I started turning several years ago and still use some of them from time to time.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Thanks, guys. That's pretty much what I surmised. I'll pass these messages along. The steel is good and holds and edge, right?
    Last edited by Russell Neyman; 05-25-2012 at 1:05 AM.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman View Post
    Thanks, guys. That's pretty much what I surmised. The steel is good and holds and edge, right?
    Pretty much just as good as most of my other HSS tools, including Crown and Sorby.

Hi Russell,
    I beleive the steel is more what is considered a "Chinese HHS" which generally does not hold an edge like "English HHS". However, the late Phil Brennion and I years ago talked about these tools as he just loved these tool and thought they were a great deal for the price! I like them as well to a certain extent. I do not beleive they hold an edge as long as other tools but you can get some great practice sharpeneing with these tools. You can also practice different shapes and edge on your tools like double beveled edges, short grind, long grind and so on. Because they were only roughly $10 a tool these are great to start with and build confidence turning and sharpening. Vince
    VincesWoodNWonders

I have used these BB tools for years..I see no difference between them & the english..
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

(Not scientifically tested) but I believe there are good and not as good Benjamin's Best tools. I bought a 1/2" bowl gouge that held a much better edge than a subsequent 3/8" and 5/8" BB bowl gouges I bought. I think they are all still good value for the money.

Like others I got a set of BB's when I first started turning. I still use most today. They hold a edge very well and when learning to sharpen there is not as much pain involved if you mess one up as it does when you mess up a $150 tool.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I started with a BB handled set and still use them. They used to be available unhandled and I bought a set and turned some Sorby knock-off handles for them. I think they work as good as my Sorbys and don't have a problem with them holding an edge.

BB are very good tools have a set been using them for years.