Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turners Poll - Your preference in wood - bark inclusions or no bark inclusions

i like the character that voids and inclusions provide

Blog Entries
    I'd have to say, I like the test of my skills a piece with voids gives me. My passion though is in segmenting, using the colors & contrasting grains to create a picture or a dimentional effect is a fun & rewarding aspect of turning. One down side though, you spend more time gluing instead of turning. Upside, you get to turn continuously long grain.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

it depends..are the holes, inclusions attractive? or not? i see so many that look out of balance, too big, ugly, that it ruins the piece. Just because the holes/incusions are there, does not automatically make it a great piece.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I go both ways depending on the piece of wood I have and what I'm making. I really like the voids and inclusions but not all the time. Some pieces need to be smooth and shinny.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

Like many others, I do both. I like to use what-ever comes my way and try to make the most of it. (I generally exclude pine, post oak and willow but have also turned those on occasion).

I dislike the technical challenge voids provide; I love a smooth, worry-free ride on the gouge.

However, I love the design challenge voids provide. To me, they make an otherwise formal form look natural. On a vessel that's supposed to hold something, I also like the irony that a hole gives to the form. Everything in moderation, though...

I made a cherry bowl last year that had a 1" knotty hole in the bottom half. I brought it into work and put it on my desk. Most visitors looked confused. A couple told me how I could stick putty in there and fix it. Finally one of my customers came in, picked it up, and said, "How beautiful!".

"But there's a hole in there," I replied

She said, "That's the point."

I gave it to her.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 05-25-2012 at 2:17 PM.

Roger, I would say that it all depends on the purpose of what I'm turning. Obviously, a salad bowl would be a little...difficult...to use with major (or any) inclusions/voids. But I believe that what makes wood so pretty is the uniqueness of each individual piece. And voids/inclusions make those pieces just that much more different. Same goes for any figure, crotch, spalting, burl, or curl. I just lump voids/inclusions in with those. But, again, for a utility bowl or vase, you obviously want it to be "sound".
    I drink, therefore I am.

I don't like bowls with the bark and voids. Some of them, even ones I see on this site, look to me like pieces of wood I would throw away. I understand there is a challenge in turning such pieces but I like a smooth, clean well proportioned piece with a nice finish with no bark or holes. Just because it is difficult to turn, does not make it a piece I care for. JMO
    Seven days without turning makes one weak.

The bigger and the more holes and voids the more I like it. Being I do mostly casting I will make pieces out of things most would burn.

Alan