Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turners Poll - Your preference in wood - bark inclusions or no bark inclusions

Turners Poll - Your preference in wood - bark inclusions or no bark inclusions

Steve's post of his cherry burl hollow form got me thinking........mostly about my own likes and dislikes about wood. My concern is that since I prefer turning wood without voids and bark inclusions that I may just be eliminating half of the available wood for turning.............

Some turners prefer wood with bark inclusions......some prefer to turn wood that does not have them........thought it would make an interesting poll to see where everybody is on this, and help some of us see how we line up with the majority of turners............some may think ....who cares! Don't get snarky...........just tell us what you like the most and why.........if you would not mind! Thanks!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I tend to prefer without inclusions, but do like to turn one with them occasionally. I probably turn at least 5 without for every 1 with.

I just don't find the experience to turning with inclusions fun, it is an annoyance I put up with once in a while because the rest of the wood makes it worth the trouble.

depends on the piece of wood wheather i turn it or not, but if i do turn it , i will alsways duct tape while hollowing it

Since we're talking hollow forms, my vote goes to "with inclusions and voids". However, I like them as accents and generally do not care for them if they dominate a piece. I appreciate the technical difficulty of turning forms with massive voids, but normally find them less visually appealing.

+1 on what Tony said!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

For the most part, I think wood with voids and inclusions looks better with minimal embellishment - beads, grooves, doodads, etc. Since I like to add various design elements to my work, I lean toward clean wood. However, I really enjoy seeing what others do with the voids, and there is a part of me that wants to turn more of those!

I turn both. It's mainly what I'm turning if we're talking hollow forms w/inclusions,if we're talking bowls without.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

I agree with what John said, I tend to like simple forms and a little bark, knot or worm holes enhance the appeal. I'm not very good at embellishments so I do a lot NE and stuff with voids but not to extremes.
    Fred

Roger I guess to me it doesn't make any difference. Whatever comes well I just turn it. If it has voids or inclusions I leave it as is and if it is clean I may dye or do some type of embellishment.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Guess I'm in the with camp, but turn plenty without. Anything that will make the grain come alive is a good thing in my book!

I can go either way, depends on the wood and the form. I'd rather see them in a hollow form than a bowl, but I've done plenty of bowls with them. But I agree with John, less embellishments on a piece with inclusions and voids.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

If I am going for artistic, I want the natural defects, except for rotten/punky wood. If I am going for practical, then I want clean and clear.

robo hippy

I find myself going for more and more defects such as the bark inclusions on bowls and voids or bark on other forms not only hollow but taller shaped pieces. Most people that see my work in person are attracted to them as well as anything spalted.

Since I like to create designs with wood, I prefer no inclusions. I am one of the rare turners who often likes less figure then more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

I like burl chunks to have a few small bark inclusions. They seem to make the piece seem more alive. Who was it that said "If you can't eat soup out of it, it's art." Was that Andy?

Really large bark inclusions show mastery of the craft. I'm making a large bowl for a neighbor that let me harvest her pear tree. It's from the bottom of the trunk. It has a bark inclusion the size of my palm on one side. I described it for her, and she said "please leave it, I'd love to see that." This bowl could be 14" in diameter when I'm done. That's an old pear tree.
    Where did I put that tape measure...