Thread: Redemption in Cherry Burl

Redemption in Cherry Burl

Bowl #6. Some of you may remember a frustrated post a few months back as I tried to rough out this bowl. It was one of my first rough outs, probably should not have tried this wood- but didn't want it to go to waste. A buddy brought the burl to me while clearing out some brush, small trees in his yard. I started roughing the outside with my 3/8" BB gouge and gave up. Actually threw it in the trash. Then pulled it out, threw in the back of my truck to take to a buddy to get his advice. Never did, took it back out of my truck, and after reading a few more books and buying some decent Thompson tools, went back and roughed it out. Had to turn away a lot of cracks, so I lost a good bit of size.

Our turning club had a 'shape challenge' from Raffan's book this month. I had already turned the rough shape of this, and it didn't have the required foot, but figured I would try to make it close to the challenge shape as I could. It started out as almost a funnel, should have taken pics of the roughout. Anyways, I'm starting to get the hang of this. The bowl may not be great, but I do feel this is my best photo session as well. Used newsprint from the kids school room and natural sunlight coming in the windows behind me. Feel free to comment on the bowl or the photography. It did crack up a bit, but not too bad. Great candy bowl size. 6 1/8" wide, 3 3/8" high, 1/4" thick.

Thanks for looking.

Where did I put that?

Redemption for sure!! I think you have done a fantastic job with this piece, and I'm certain future ones will come easier with each one. Glad you didn't give up on this one. The Thompson tools will no doubt help a lot. Keep going and showing us more. And the pictures are very good. I try to use natural light myself, whenever I can. All in all, great work!

very nice, pretty wood

That sure works Rob! Great form, finish is perfect...just wish it was bigger!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Thanks guys. Finish is two coats of Danish oil. I may add a few more to bring up the sheen. The burl polishes so well by itself. I'm gonna try to make some pens from the drops.

Really nice bowl and finish Rob. Wood is really nice.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice job for sure. Way to keep getting back on the horse so to speak.Your probably very glad you stayed after it.

Very nice Rob! I like the shape and that's a pretty chunk of wood too.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Very nice work, and a beautiful piece of wood, Rob.

Now that's a bowl! Beautiful work and the bowl has a little bit of everything in it! Very nice!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

nice bowl and some pretty cherry

if you make pens from it do yourself a big favor and soak the blanks with thin CA (as much as they will soak up) before you drill them, after you drill them , after you get them turned round , when you close to finished size and any other time that they will absorb any of the glue and then when sanding be sure to keep a light touch so as to keep the heat to a minimum and even then expect some of them to crack

does make for gorgeous pens though

Great looking bowl Rob! Pretty piece of wood!