Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spalted White Oak Bowl

Spalted White Oak Bowl

Good friend and fellow Creeker Rob Sitze called and said he could use a hand doing his bearing replacement on his Jet. As payment, he let me use his lathe since mine is sold, the movers have packed everything and I'm in an apartment for 3 months. We had a great day talking shop and the White Oak blank I picked up at our last turners guild was a nice piece of wood. No pics of the day but here is the bowl. I did another ring base that I really like and, as this isn't a utility bowl, the rim tilts out. Finish is Robs homemade secret formula. The blank had some bad punky areas but I like the bowl overall. And, to boot, Rob bought lunch. Great day. Comments and criticism appreciated.

P.S. Sorry about the pics, it's from my iPhone.
    Spalted White Oak 01.jpgSpalted White Oak 02.jpg
    Last edited by Nate Davey; 05-26-2012 at 6:06 PM.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

It was a good time, after bearing replacement, Nate turned, I cut up bowl blanks, and we swapped stories. Too bad we didn't think about a picture together. Pebo, Nate's shop dog was awesome in the shop, other then chasing my cat around the house. Enjoyed it and hope to do it again before you move.
    Dislocated New Mexican.
    Critiques always welcome.

Nice looking bowl. I hadn't seen spalted white oak before. Is a tilted-out rim a no-no for a utility bowl? My dog is a fixture in my shop and am glad to hear that Nate even travels with his!

Nice work Nate!! For whatever reason, I think the foot is really cool! Great rim and the finish is spot on!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

very nice oak

Nate,

That is a nice bowl and a neat piece of wood.

Alan

I like everything about this bowl including the rim. Never thought of spalting oak but I might have to give it.

That's great looking! Love the grain and colors. I don't like to turn oak, but that piece would sure make it worth it!

Really nice looking bowl and wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice bowl Nate! I like the beaded foot and that's a cool piece of wood.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

love the wood! I like the ring base too
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Awesome spalting on that bowl. That's very nice and great shape.

Thank you all for the kind comments.

Jon, I decided on my bowls, if it was for use, the rim would tip in and if the bowl was for looks, out. This way your cheerios roll back into the bowl Also, if I ever become famous, as opposed to infamous, it will be a signature.
    Last edited by Nate Davey; 05-27-2012 at 11:19 AM.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Beautiful bowl! Glad to see you got in some shop time!! I would be lost without being able to head to my shop whenever I wanted!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Nice looking bowl Nate! Looks close to being too far gone in many places.